Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

German looking dagger

Article about: Picked this up and can't find anything like it . Its older and well built . All parts are made of brass and chromed .can anybody identify it . thanks for looking . Gary

?

Default German looking dagger

Picked this up and can't find anything like it . Its older and well built . All parts are made of brass and chromed .can anybody identify it . thanks for looking . Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German looking dagger   German looking dagger  

German looking dagger   German looking dagger  

German looking dagger  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German looking dagger
    P
    Many

Gary you already identified it.

Its Parts
    Parts from Luftwaffe, Fireman,..I dont know what that cannonball thing is for a pommel.
    I will move this to the dagger forum for further discussion and enjoyment
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Thank you Larry . I'm a sucker for a $5 dagger . Gary

?

Certainly its messed with, but the grip is imo not of a first model luft, this grip has its swirls different in shape and number and deeper then the luft ones.
    It stands a change of being a fire officials parts dagger with Original pommel grip and guard.

Lets ask Billy if he can shed a light on it!

Ger

to compare, look at this grip...
    German looking dagger
    Last edited by gerrit; 09-23-2019 at 02:24 PM.

?

Yes it does have a similar look to it . I also had a thought that it may be some kind of ceremonial fraternal dagger. It's to bad the blade isn't maker marked . Gary

This dagger does resemble a plain Jane version of a Feuerwehr officer's dagger but after looking it over some, I believe it's probably a dagger for a GI souvenir constructed of an amalgam of parts available at the time. I suppose there's also a possibility it's some sort of fraternal type dagger for ceremonies and such.

Typically German Fire Official's daggers have austere exteriors but their attraction likes mostly in their beautiful acid-etched blades. Ordinarily Fire Official's daggers fall into two general types, Eickhorn and WKC, based on the hilt fittings utilized. Some, like Alcoso, use a combination of similar fittings with a unique grip and different etch pattern.

There are occasional exceptions to the above but the one dagger I saw that opened up my thinking was a very plain Eickhorn example. The hilt fittings were smooth, like this example, devoid of even accent lines. The scabbard fittings were also plain. The one exception was the Eickhorn marked blade had a typical Feuerwehr etched motif.

Initially I thought that's what we had here, a super stripped down version but the shape of the blade along with the lack of a blade etch leads me to believe this is a construct of parts that fit together and not a dagger for a specific agency or organization.

Excellent assessment Billy.

?

Guys thanks for all the help with this dagger . Gary