Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

German (Romanian) dagger genuine or a fantasy piece?

Article about: Very Rare German or Rumanian presentation dagger original or a fantasy piece?. This very rare presentation piece features artificial ivory grip plates with a gilt wreathed mobile swastika. T

Default German (Romanian) dagger genuine or a fantasy piece?

Very Rare German or Rumanian presentation dagger original or a fantasy piece?. This very rare presentation piece features artificial ivory grip plates with a gilt wreathed mobile swastika. The pommel displays a finely detailed eagle's head(Eagle head looks like to that used in the manufacture of daggers Romanian) . The gilt lower crossguard displays a floral design. The obverse of the full-length 6.75 inch blade displays a floral design. The reverse features the recipient's name 'H. Franke".
    I have never seen anythig like it and want also opinions of more experienced collectors.
    Thank you collaborators amd moderators!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German (Romanian) dagger genuine or a fantasy piece?   German (Romanian) dagger genuine or a fantasy piece?  

German (Romanian) dagger genuine or a fantasy piece?   German (Romanian) dagger genuine or a fantasy piece?  

German (Romanian) dagger genuine or a fantasy piece?   German (Romanian) dagger genuine or a fantasy piece?  

German (Romanian) dagger genuine or a fantasy piece?  
    Attached Images Attached Images German (Romanian) dagger genuine or a fantasy piece? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German (Romanian) dagger genuine or a fantasy piece?
    P
    Many

Default Re: German (Romanian) dagger genuine or a fantasy piece?

I am going to lean on it being a fantasy piece since Hans Frank is spelled without the letter "E" on the end of his last name ,,not unless it is Romanian cultural text. The silver scabbard just doesnt match the gold counter parts... this is just my opinion but I would think the scabbard would be a little more ornate in appearance if it was going to be given to such a high ranking official. Then again "Franke" could be a common name. Hard to say. Is there any documentation of where it came from,,,as the green background looks very familiar. Interesting artifact! Regards Larry
    Last edited by Larry C; 11-02-2012 at 10:15 AM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

About the first knife, that is for sure a fantasy knife, badly attachted and poor fitted grip plates, cheap rivets on gripplates.
    Even the etching begins odd against the ricasso, that dagger does not "breath"ww2 German quality standards.
    The last one is even more odd, its shows a kind of bajonet scabbard, chrome plated, a kind of sword grip and a dagger like blade, it doesnt stand a change.
    The cheap grip wire does not fit well either.
    It has the same kind of ricasso like the first one, i think they are made in the same plant yesterday.
    Keep distance to these kind of fantasy daggers.

Cheers Ger

?

Quote by gerrit View Post
    The last one is even more odd, its shows a kind of bajonet scabbard, chrome plated, a kind of sword grip and a dagger like blade, it doesnt stand a change.
    The cheap grip wire does not fit well either.
    It has the same kind of ricasso like the first one, i think they are made in the same plant yesterday.
    Keep distance to these kind of fantasy daggers.

Cheers Ger
    Ger,
    I have to disagree with you.
    I do not know if the first dagger real or not, fantasy or real, but what you can see on the last photo is an absolute original and authentic M1930 Royal Rumanian Army Officer's dagger.
    I know it looks odd, but it is real. :-)

Best regards,
    JAnos

?

Thx Janos,

the first one there is no doubt its a fantasy dagger.
    The last one i assumed it was too, because it showed the same blade,, you schooled me Thx

Cheers Ger

?

Quote by gerrit View Post
    Thx Janos,

the first one there is no doubt its a fantasy dagger.
    The last one i assumed it was too, because it showed the same blade,, you schooled me Thx

Cheers Ger
    Ger,
    it was a pleasure to help.
    I remember the first time when I examined this M1930 Romanian dagger in hand, I thought it must be a joke.
    And the measurements!
    Blade: 15,5 cm.
    Total length without scabbard: 24 cm.

Try to imagine!

Cheers,
    Janos