Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German Trench Knife - WW1 or WW2 ?

Article about: The Hammesfahr looks good to me so far. The GERMANY mark means, this knife was exportet to the USA after the Great War. You also can find this stamp on captured weapons and other items. It´s

RON
    ?

Default German Trench Knife - WW1 or WW2 ?

Hello everyone,
    What do you think about the below German fighting knife?
    German Trench Knife - WW1 or WW2 ?German Trench Knife - WW1 or WW2 ?German Trench Knife - WW1 or WW2 ?German Trench Knife - WW1 or WW2 ?
    German Trench Knife - WW1 or WW2 ?German Trench Knife - WW1 or WW2 ?
    German Trench Knife - WW1 or WW2 ?German Trench Knife - WW1 or WW2 ?
    WW1, WW2 or both?
    Last edited by RON; 06-22-2011 at 09:19 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Trench Knife - WW1 or WW2 ?
    P
    Many

Default Re: German Trench Knife - WW1 or WW2 ?

Hi Ron, it is a WW1 pattern knife.

Cheers, Ade.

RON
    ?

Hello Ade; thanks for quickly coming to the rescue!
    Many of these trench/fighting knives were recycled/re-issued in WW2... What pattern characteristics distinguish it from a WW2 design?
    However I'm mainly worried about its authenticity as I've been told there's good replicas that were recently produced in India for a US company that dealt exclusively in replica items from several different historical periods...

The collector argued that the main giveaways were:
    1. The scabbard: It seems these were painted black or field gray before the leather was attached
    2. The condition of the leather & wooden grips: No major age or wear
    3. The condition of the snap: No wear to paint on handle strap snap cover
    4. The condition of the rivets attaching belt loop to scabbard: Lack of wear or age there either
    5. Grip plates: Made of Rosewood; a type of wood found in India but not native to Europe...

Pretty much made me doubt everything in this knife and I haven't even received it yet!!

?

I believe this type to be a reproduction of a WW1 trench knife often found on ebay US
    people try to artificially age these knifes to make them look old & worn imo.

Reibert will hopefully chime in with his great knowledge on fighting knifes at some point.

Trench knife - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums
    Last edited by Mac 66; 06-22-2011 at 11:55 AM.

RON
    ?

Quote by Reibert View Post
    You´re right, Mac !

Ron´s knife´s a poor copy indeed !
    Well it might be a copy indeed but definitely not a 'poor' one... This could fool many collectors, I'm sure. The main differences with the 'real' thing would be the lighter/paler wooden grips (instead of Indian Rosewood), more wear (instead of a very well preserved item, although this is debatable... there could be mint trench knives, like there is mint [e.g. War Bond]pickelhaubes), and a painted scabbard (instead of unpainted)...

Quote by RON View Post
    Well it might be a copy indeed but definitely not a 'poor' one ...
    I´m really sorry, but, it´s a poor copy indeed !

This kind of wooden grip plates, the maker´s mark, the acceptance stamp, (furthermore, both of them marked on the false side of the blade ! ... ), the leather of the hanger, the rivets, the markings upon the press button, the crossguard, the wascher, the "mouth" of the scabbard, and so on ...

RON
    ?

cannot view images of the Demag ...

RON
    ?

Here you go Reibert... What do you think of both knives and what's with the 'GERMANY' stamp on the trench knife blade?
    German Trench Knife - WW1 or WW2 ?German Trench Knife - WW1 or WW2 ?German Trench Knife - WW1 or WW2 ?German Trench Knife - WW1 or WW2 ?German Trench Knife - WW1 or WW2 ?German Trench Knife - WW1 or WW2 ?German Trench Knife - WW1 or WW2 ?German Trench Knife - WW1 or WW2 ?German Trench Knife - WW1 or WW2 ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast