Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Got to know this lady

Article about: Wow, this is special. I know the feeling of which you describe Jesper, I felt like that after acquiring the piece in my display picture- and finding out it's history from the man I bought it

?

Default Re: Got to know this lady

HA! Jesper caught 'salting the mine' with a post war dagger? Nah,....that can't be !?
    Gee...I wonder what the medals will look like?

Finally! After four pages, we have Billy who knows daggers, and that 'someone-else' earlier, who realized that you are being sold a bill of goods.

'Someone' is taking what maybe indeed authentic 'paper' and doing a witches brew with a 'POSTWAR' produced dagger inscribed with what looks like a just done yesterday personal engraving. So 'fake' being 'not period', but factory produced Post war. That Portapee looks like it was hung there last week as it hasn't taken a 'set'.
    Unless of course, you think I'm wrong, but I clearly see what I see.
    These Items are presented as authentic 'period' pieces. Well the owner wouldn't be receiving this Hunting daggers from Carinhall pre-1945. HA!

Reading this whole thread from the begining doesn't pass the 'smell' test for me. I believe you guys are being taken for a ride here. OK, perhaps I'm a bit jaded and there could be a plausable explaination.

I get the feeling the story is going to change a bit now...we are ready. 'the lady with an attic full of suitcases ..
    ... .... ...'

-wagner-

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Got to know this lady
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Billy G View Post
    What was the reason someone claimed the dagger to be fake? It's generally accepted that Eickhorn forestry/hunting daggers that are pre-1945 have stamped makers marks & the squirrel's rear end is supposed to face the blade tip, this one has the opposite. Eickhorn continued to make these daggers well into the 1960's so such a dagger wouldn't be a reproduction, per se, but post-1945 daggers w uld be worth considerably less. This dagger clearly has provenance but also has a feature of post-1945 manufacture. Is it possible the gentleman had more than one dagger?
    From what reference material are you basing your statement on re the Eickhorn mark, on all the Hunting daggers ive seen and the other Eickhorn produced daggers the Squirrel faces the blade, makers such as Eickhorn dont suddenly decide to change their trademark for one particular type of dagger, however they may have done post war im not sure but it would be helpful to see your source of information

?

Wagner, you've made a sweeping statement claiming that Jesper is in your words "salting the mine" and that we're being sold a bill of goods, I presume that your opinion is that no dagger could be in that condition after all this time, which , if you check some of the best collections, you will find many examples in pristine condition, also why wouldnt it be possible for this dagger to be presented pre 1945 at Karinhall, im not saying that we are all right about this item but there definately seems to be provenance concerning it, also there is no attempt by Jesper to offer this item for sale, therefore "salting the mine" plays no part in his showing it, read LTC Thomas M Johnsons books , you will see some of the best edged weapons from various collectors all in excellent condition with portapees to match

?

davejb,
    The reason this dagger couldn't be presented at Karinhall or anywhere for that matter is it is a post war made peice.
    So if you know daggers like Billy and I do, then you can tell that my remark is not because I cannot accept the condition of the piece, as I have daggers that are minty, it's just doesn't
    have the features of accepted Third Reich made examples by Eickhorn.

-wagner-
    Last edited by wagner; 12-02-2011 at 07:22 AM.

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    I don't look in the TR forums very often and would have skipped right over this one
    but the thread's title got me curious.
    I have to say I feel the same as Chopperman, I'm not a TR collector at all but this thread is interesting. It's a lovely piece of cutlery, no doubt about it, but I want to ask a question of any of our knowledgable 'dagger people'.

Apart from the fact that it has some paperwork linking it to Reichsmarschall Goring and the provenance given etc - just in terms of the physical dagger itself, what makes it so unique? I looked this kind of weapon up online and found quite a few identical looking (to my inexpert eye) pieces. Just one example: Lot 4349: DELUXE SENIOR FORESTRY DAGGER POST WAR EICKHORN - Affiliated Auctions & Realty LLC | AuctionZip

This is an online auction for a post-war German "Senior Forestry cutlass" so I will post the pictures that came with it too for posterity:

Got to know this ladyGot to know this ladyGot to know this ladyGot to know this ladyGot to know this ladyGot to know this lady

So, again, what makes this dagger so unique compared to this one? They look almost identical to me...

Rob

?

Nice Catch there Battery Command. Yes, the auction house example at least tells the potential bidders that they are looking at a 'Post-War' made dagger. - just like Jesper's.
    Now I'm in the states and it's past Dinosaurs bet time but I want to throw is a couple of photos of what a real Deluxe Eickhorn Cutlass made during the Third reich should like. Sorry photos are not the best.

-wagner-

The Eickhorn's on the Left.

Last edited by wagner; 12-02-2011 at 08:11 AM.

?

?

It would have helped more had you shown the war-era squirrel mark. William
    Ah! There it is! Much better! Thanks!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by wagner View Post
    Nice Catch there Battery Command. Yes, the auction house example at least tells the potential bidders that they are looking at a 'Post-War' made dagger. - just like Jesper's.
    Now I'm in the states and it's past Dinosaurs bet time but I want to throw is a couple of photos of what a real Deluxe Eickhorn Cutlass made during the Third reich should like. Sorry photos are not the best.
    Thank you wagner, that answers my question

So to paraphrase davejb: Ok lets get things into perspective here... the dagger (or cutlass) that this thread is about is a not very rare (but genuine) post-war piece, that is being portrayed as an item of major historical significance? My next question is why? Someone is lying about something, and it's either the lady with the attic full of suitcases or jesper himself. And people always lie for a reason, so what is it?

Sorry if I am being a little rude there, but it's the truth and I really don't like this kind of thing. I guess its the old story.. if it seems too good to be true, then...

Rob

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast