Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help authenticating - RAD Hewer

Article about: Hello, all - I was looking at this RAD Hewer - I don't mind that it's in rough condition, but I'm wondering if it's authentic. I'm no expert. The things that bother me right off the bat are

?

Default Help authenticating - RAD Hewer

Hello, all -

I was looking at this RAD Hewer - I don't mind that it's in rough condition, but I'm wondering if it's authentic. I'm no expert. The things that bother me right off the bat are the edge (other examples I've looked at don't have a pronounced plunge line on the edge) and the etching, which appears to be on the wrong side of the blade.

Anyone who can chime in and tell me what's what would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Sigrun

Help authenticating - RAD HewerHelp authenticating - RAD HewerHelp authenticating - RAD HewerHelp authenticating - RAD Hewer

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help authenticating - RAD Hewer
    P
    Many

It is a poor copy. Forget it.
    Here is my example to compare the details.
    RAD Hewer, Maker Marked Ed Wusthof
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Thank you, Ralph. I have only recently decided to start collecting, and am in the "know lots of history and almost no detail on actual items" phase. Sounds like I chose a difficult item to start with, lol - but I really like the hewers.

I have also liked them for many years as I have photos of my father in his RAD uniform, I only acquired my example last year.
    Patience,
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

I'm interested in the hewers generally - RAD, TENO, DRK... I've not yet seen one that wasn't either a bad fake or ridiculously expensive. Though I suppose it's fortunate for me that there don't seem to be convincing fakes out there to spend my money on!

Wow that one is not even close to being real. I will assume you never saw a real one or studied much as of yet but I strongly recommend reading up on some threads here or buying a few books before diving in, Teno Hewers are the more expensive out of the bunch you mentioned, DRK and Rads are more common and many can be found on dealer sites.

?

I've never seen one in person. I know I know nothing - but at least I recognized the obvious stuff, lol.

I've never collected anything seriously - the most frustrating thing for me now is that it's so hard to get an education. Others know the things I need to know, but aren't willing to publish or share online for fear of training fraudsters as well.

Quote by Sigrun View Post
    the most frustrating thing for me now is that it's so hard to get an education. Others know the things I need to know, but aren't willing to publish or share online for fear of training fraudsters as well.
    The best thing you have done then is to join this forum.
    There is a vast amount of reading material posted here for you to read for free. You can compare originals to copies, it is all here.
    As Larry says, sit back, put your feet up and stay awhile.
    Ralph.

?

Thanks - glad I stumbled in!