Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

help identify WW1 german knife

Article about: It's a knife that could be purchased on the civilian market for military use... cheers, Glenn - - ------- - -

?

Question help identify WW1 german knife

All i know it is a WW1 knife given to me by my grandfather. It has a metal and leather case. On the case there is a mark, i don't know if its a flower or a cross look at picturehelp identify WW1 german knifehelp identify WW1 german knifehelp identify WW1 german knifehelp identify WW1 german knifehelp identify WW1 german knife. The edge is has markings like on the picture, says Gebruder Rauh, Grafrath-sol and also a symbol. I have taken pictures. Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement help identify WW1 german knife
    P
    Many

And what a beauty she is! That's a keeper...the "star" is typical of German "Prym" manufactured snap-buttons, and are seen on WWI and WWII canteen covers as well...and a good sign of originality...
    Welcome to the Forum, friend...
    cheers, Glenn

?

Thank you. Do you maybe know the year or something about the blade. Like what troops used it, maybe origin, or some story about it. I really don't know anything about it except that its from ww1. Its interesting and old and i really wonder if i can find out some story behind it.
    Thanks again

This appears (to me) to be a private purchase piece, and not necessarily an issued item...The WWII fighting knives were practically identical...
    That's all I can add, friend...hopefully other members will be able to provide more information...That's a $300 knife, by the way...
    cheers, Glenn

Great looking knife!...

?

Thank you very much. I really never tough about selling it, would be a shame to me. I am more interested in the history (story) behind it.

It really is a beauty and as a family item I think you are correct to keep it. A private purchase trench fighting knife I think, as Glenn suggested.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I wouldn't sell it either, but at least you now have a ballpark figure as to current value...
    Thanks for showing!
    cheers, Glenn

Greetings Mali,

Yep, as Glenn has already said a nice (because of condition & it’s maker marked) Private Purchase WWI German Trench Knife. As such it would be nearly impossible to tell who used it or what unit they were assigned to (assuming it comes without any provenance) as it was something a Soldier (any Soldier) could readily purchase.

It’s a very typical style of blade known as the Leupold Dagger. See the scan below it is from; Méry, Christian. German combat knives: 1914-1945. Paris: Histoire & Collections, 2011. It’s my very favorite book on the subject and quite affordable when compared to others on the subject.

Regards,

Lance

Double click on picture to make it larger.

help identify WW1 german knife

?

Thank you all very much! I also have, maybe a stupid, question.... What IS a private purchase military knife. Doesn't the military provide arms and equipment to all soldiers. Some arms better then others according to rank or status... I really don't have any idea about it... Thanks guys

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast