Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

help! keep dagger in scabbard or out??

Article about: Sadly I cant comment for the 100% mint blades. All mine have runner marks so I have the view that where the runners have touched the crossgraining has already gone and cannot be made worse.

Sadly I cant comment for the 100% mint blades. All mine have runner marks so I have the view that where the runners have touched the crossgraining has already gone and cannot be made worse.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement help! keep dagger in scabbard or out??
    P
    Many

Mine have them too...but just was making a generalization. Runner marks or not...your dagger was there making history..and thats all that matters.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Is there a seller of nice perspex display mounts suitable for an SA dagger and scabbard mounted seperately?

yes there is.. gent by the name of Bill Shea...check out these dagger and sword stands..you may have to scroll down a bit..one you find it..click on "photos" and this will actually show you daggers displayed. Whats is perspex?....or is it per specs?

Edged Weapons and Accessories
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Perspex = clear acrylic...sorry, i'm a ferriner!

I leave my daggers in the scabbard only for the simple reason (to me) is that when you hear or see daggers that have "come out the woodwork" the blades always look in great condition after being stored in them for years, and after all the scabbard is also there to protect the blade always a great debate on this subject .. here is another question, what would be a recommended temperature to store daggers in? ............the debate continues
    cheers Ronnie

I would say a room temp or 18-20 degrees is nice.

My 33' SS dagger survived well in its scabbard in a loft which was cold in the winter and warm/humid in the summer so these things are pretty hardy.

It was found still in the scabbard in black grease which I sadly removed thinking it was eating into the blade. I shouldn't have done that thinking back but removing it was the only way to see if it was doing damage.

I think Matty...as with Dinosaurs found in the after a few thousand yrs...they were protected by the soil on top of them ..only to be displayed after a careful cleaning. The black grease IMO would be the same theory of protecting the blade until the right time. I see nothing wrong at all by removing the grease. These daggers when presented to the SA men were not loaded with grease. Your dagger was time capsuled until it was time to reach your hands. I display mine in as Ronnie has commneted..and only a decent few outside the scabbard for Motto display purposes. Regards Larry

Hi Larry, thanks for making me feel better for doing what ive always classed as a mistake.

Interestly with my SS dagger I knew the veteran that must have brought it home although he never said anything about it to anybody. It wasnt until he'd sadly passed a house clearance company found it in the roof of his attic. Just shows there are some honest people left in the world as they could have quite easily put it in there jacket pocket and walked away with it rather than declare it. I know where the vet had served but il never know the story behind the dagger (if he even remembered) which is a shame.

Ive figured out how to upload a picture so I will add a picture of the blade to show how its kept under grease in its scabbard all these years (up until 2 years ago).

matty
    Last edited by matty01; 10-29-2013 at 05:54 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast