Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How can I care for and maintain my TR knife collection?

Article about: While I only have HJ daggers in my collection.. I was curious how to keep them from rusting and maintaining their current quality? I've read that applying a small amount of WD-40 or similar

Default How can I care for and maintain my TR knife collection?

While I only have HJ daggers in my collection.. I was curious how to keep them from rusting and maintaining their current quality? I've read that applying a small amount of WD-40 or similar compound to the blade with a cloth will prevent rust from forming. One of my daggers in particular keeps rusting in one small spot and I'm worried it will spread and worsen. I've ceased keeping it in the scabbard as it may be contributing to the rust. This blade in particular is very "salty".

Thanks so much.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How can I care for and maintain my TR knife collection?
    P
    Many

I use a product called 'Sheath' which leaves a thin film
    of rust inhibitor on metal. WD-40 will eventually
    evaporate leaving nothing to protect
    the surfaces.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Is WD-40 okay to use to until I procure 'Sheath' protectant?

Can't hurt. I don't know if Sheath is still on the market.
    ( I bought a spray-can years ago and still have some
    left. A little goes a long way. )

There are probably similar products out there.
    Try a gun shop and see what they
    recommend.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Excellent, thank you. All the help I've received here has inspired me to become a premium member. When I get paid this Friday I'd like to subscribe to the club.

?

Everyone will have a different opinion but I use WD40, remove that with mineral turpentine and then once completely dry cover in one or two coats of renaissance wax.

?

Just a tidbit of info on WD40 from my service days, I used to love the stuff, BUT
    At one time WD40 was used by the military as an turbine jet engine preservative. It was put on all surfaces including the combustion chamber. It was found that after a couple of years of storage the WD would evaporate like Steve(Walkwolf) had mentioned. It would leave behind a sticky residue that needed to be cleaned off of every part (Bearings,Turbine Blades,Fuel/Hyd lines)before the engine would be suitable to be installed and used on our Fighter jets.

I myself use a product called CLP(Cleans, Lubricates,Protects) on all of my edged weapons and also my Firearms.

Just my 2 centavos on the subject.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

I use inox ,

It's much better then wd40 I think , smells better too !

Inox Supreme Lubricants - Inox Lubricants

THE ONLY LUBRICANT IN THE WORLD WITH THE SPECIAL MX3 ANTI-CORROSION, ANTI-MOISTURE FORMULA FOR THE
    21ST CENTURY

DISPLACES • PENETRATES
    LUBRICATES • PROTECTS

INOX is a quality product designed for heavy industrial use and where extreme climatic conditions prevail.

INOX contains no silicon, acid, dieselene or kerosines.

INOX will not harm metal points, surfaces, plastics, paints, enamels or finishes, fibreglass, formica or neoprene seals.

INOX does not dry out, gum up, become gooey or sticky
    Or wash off with water!

INOX is non-conductive, non-static, non-toxic, non-corrosive and non-staining.

Quote by Alex W View Post
    Everyone will have a different opinion but I use WD40, remove that with mineral turpentine and then once completely dry cover in one or two coats of renaissance wax.
    I have to agree with Alex,
    Although I don't use WD-40 on my blades, as it collects dust, if you apply it with your fingers and rub to get rid of any rust, it must be removed with something that does not leave any traces, like rubbing alcohol. Then apply one or two coats of Ren-Wax.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Ren Wax is used by most museums, so I would imagine it must be reliable protection.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast