Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting folding knife, is it from the TR time period?

Article about: Fairly high quality folding knife, belongs to the same antique shop vendor case at the insignia and badges I just posted. Is this TR period, I saw a few on the web, but no explanations. Razo

Default Interesting folding knife, is it from the TR time period?

Fairly high quality folding knife, belongs to the same antique shop vendor case at the insignia and badges I just posted. Is this TR period, I saw a few on the web, but no explanations. Razor sharp, good steel! Obviously not any kind of issue items, but a handy one nonetheless. If I switch pants and realize I don't have my daily wear knife clipped to my pocket, I have a mild anxiety attack, for I use it many times a day.

Any info on this maker appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Interesting folding knife, is it from the TR time period?
    P
    Many

Hi Larboard. A very nice Pocket knife..and it is an authentic Friedrich Herder item. No doubt. I can not put a time frame on this knife but it has great appeal and seen below is a more modern Herder produced knife.

Friedrich Herder is still in operation to this day. I think you found a reasonably priced older type Knife. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

From the construction, I would say around the 50's-60s and priced a little high IMO.
    I think $75. for this, used, would be pushing it.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

That's the thing with Antique Malls/Stores - prices tend to
    be two or three times higher than one might expect.
    In most cases, dealers who rent cabinets or put
    stuff on consignment have to mark up their
    wares to make it profitable.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Thx guys, great info. First time I've been in an antique store in years, I stay out for the same reasons... I was hoping it was TR era, it's definitely a really nice old pocket knife, great build quality.

?

Those knives where pretty common in the 70th, i had one my own, a good Herder was even then not cheap, some 35-->40 gilders.
    At the rate then i would guess some 25-- US dollars.
    For sure not a real vintage one, logo states Germany already....but a nice 70th example

Cheers
    Ger

mpw
    ?

'For sure not a real vintage one, logo states Germany already....but a nice 70th example'

Nice knife with some age to it. Although having a 'Germany' logo doesn't necessarily mean an item is post war. I have many items in my collection from the early 20th century embossed/incised Germany. Bisque pottery for example. Post WW1 and WW2 items from Germany and Japan often had a 'Foreign made' logo instead when exporting to former enemy countries.

Rgd,s
    Mark.

H Mark..agreed on the word " Germany "..but mostly on export items coming out of the country not related to the Third Reich or its political machine....yet none sanctioned by the NSDAP..that belonged to Germany politically.

I have seen many things come out of Germany as an export..which they were trying to make money also for their own efforts from within. Yet EVERY Third Reich NSDAP related item that we have seen and studied will not have Germany printed on it. Those TR / NSDAP items if found that way..may well be after the Allied occupation or post war.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

mpw
    ?

Hi Larry.

Totally agree with you. I wasn't trying to say the item was ww2 era simply that items marked 'Germany' are not all post war.

Tnx, Mark.

Totally Understand..and was not directing my reply just towards you..but also those who are getting int this hobby..that sometimes are misled seeing a dagger with Germany on it. New collectors do not have the decades of experience to discern the difference.

Im glad you made the post you did..which is very helpful...to the new collector.