MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Luft , Army, and KM daggers for your opinions please

Article about: Hello Sirs, As a very uneducated beginner collector in this field I would greatly appreciate your opinions regarding the following daggers. These are the daggers that I asked about in a prev

Default Luft , Army, and KM daggers for your opinions please

Hello Sirs,

As a very uneducated beginner collector in this field I would greatly appreciate your opinions regarding the following daggers. These are the daggers that I asked about in a previous thread.

This KM dagger has no marks or signs of previous marks that I can find.

Thank you very much for your thoughts on these items.

Last edited by JoeFriday; 08-23-2013 at 10:08 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luft , Army, and KM daggers for your opinions please
    P
    Many

If I understand correctly, the blade is in the handle backwards on this dagger.

?

Hi Joe,
    Let me comment on the three daggers. First the navy dagger. All parts are original except the blade. I don't know what it is but it's not a 2nd model navy blade. The pommel and scabbard are both made by WKC.

The luftwaffe dagger is original too but the scabbard is an army scabbard. The hangers are army hangers too. The hangers are the socalled horseshoe type which are considered scarce. The crossguard is a less seen variant by WKC. So with the right scabbard this would have been a very nice one.

The army dagger is a textbook WKC piece. You can always tell it's a WKC scabbard by the single screw on one side of the scabbard.

Danny

I agree with Danny. The KM's blade is unusual and may well mean that it's a put together parts dagger. Or it could Possibly even have been a replaced blade in wartime, but I doubt it. The pebbled Sheath, however, is a nice upgraded type that was extra money for anyone buying a dagger and I Do like the grip on this one as well (Is it wood, I wonder?). If a person could ever find a 2nd Model KM by WKC that had a smashed up grip and damaged sheath and pommel, you could put together a nice looking KM. It would Still be a "parts dagger" but it would be correct,anyway. As for the Luftwaffe, again, it Would have been a decent piece, but somehow it ended up wearing Army clothing!

As has been said, the Army is about the most original of the 3. Personally, I'd take the hangers off the Luftwaffe and put them on the Army, but that's just me. A WKC sheath Could be found for the Luftwaffe, but with the high prices being asked for this lot, I wouldn't advise putting any more money into them. I would have to say that I would pass on the lot as just too much trouble, money and effort.
    Last edited by Wagriff; 08-24-2013 at 01:07 AM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

On a Positive note...A Big thank you Joe..for the clear and detailed photos!....Although the daggers have some issues...they are still a useful tool for learning and our data base. Thank you for going the extra mile ..and providing these pics upon our request. best regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

A friend of mine has his grandfather's bring back KM dagger with no deterioration
    to the outer parts - except gilt wear from handling - but the blade was
    completely encrusted in rust.

This may have been the case with the dagger pictured above, where only
    the blade needed replacing, but a crummy repro was used.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Well Sirs, thank you very much for the information. I am disappointed because I would have had some history to go along with these which is getting harder to get by the day. This was a great learning opportunity for me and I greatly appreciate you all taking the time to reply and educate me.

Thank you all again very much.
    Best,
    Rob

Hi Joe just a quick note for future reference for the next time you have a few to show......it would be a great help to me..if you can post each respective dagger to their own forum which would be better for those who study those types..which would be all in one forum
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Hi Joe,

regarding your maker mark army dagger question: normally the makermark is indeed on the back of the dagger.
    If the pommel can be turned with your hand its easy enough to take the grip etc of the blade and put it back backwards
    BTW Is that wire a piece of the portepee that is shown on your first picture of that army dagger?
    if the lower part of the portepee is still there ( the big acorn) you have with your horseshoe hangers an almost complete Heeres rig.

Thx for posting.
    Ger