Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My DRK Mans Hewer.

Article about: Hi, My DRK Mans Hewer for your review/comments please. Thanks, Andy.

?

I would always prefer a Klaas over a PDL.
    The back plate of the PDL ones have a tendency to break easily on the guards edge, never seen that happened with a Klaas hewer, but quite a few on the PDL ones.

Ger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My DRK Mans Hewer.
    P
    Many

Hi, Thanks very much for your reply, very informative I have learnt more about the DRK hewer that will be very useful to me in the future I thought there was something about the size of the cross but didn't know the other details. Fine for anyone to use my photos for whatever they want and the side by side photo you posted makes it so much clearer and easy to see what the differences actually are between the two makers. Would love to see the third type you mention where can I see it? Must say I prefer the look of the PDL eagle. Cheers, Andy.
    Quote by M.E.E. View Post
    You can tell from the eagle design a Klaas from a PDL. The edge of the disk is rounded and thicker than a PDL, the cross is bigger, swastika is thinner and the feet are far more pronounced on a PDL. On a Klaas the feet look like yours kind of a blob where talons are but with PDL you can make out the legs, the claws and the toes. There are other differences but these are the quick ones. When it comes to officers it is the same thing, the disk and eagle are the same on both officers Klaas and the hewer same with the PDL. The scabbards from a leader both Red Cross and Social Services are different between a Klaas and a PDL. I hope you don't mind but I downloaded your picture and put it as a side by side of my PDL eagle so you can see the difference. It is very easy to tell the difference between the two when you get to know them and you can spot the ones in the wrong scabbard easy. There is a 3rd one that is a Klaas that has a funny head but a lot of characteristics of the PDL. I have it here on the site if you feel like looking at it. Anyways once again nice blade and thanks for showing.

Attachment 1246327

?

I prefer the looks of the PDL also but since it has a thinner, chiselled edge it does break easier. Red Cross (DRK) EM Hewer is the discussion on the third version. These are known as a highbrow/round shoulder are made by Klaas and are significantly rarer than both other versions. I believe (and this is just my theory) that these are a earlier version before the standardization and share features of both including a thinner edge (not chiseled like the PDL though) crisper feet, a cross a smaller then the Klaas but bigger than the PDL and a larger swastika than either. But there is no missing the head, and I am very thankful that they didn't keep that head. All of these I have seen have a very thick frosting of silver and seem to be a touch smaller in general size in all fittings.

Nice clean example

Nice example Andy.

Thanks to the many threads here on this dagger type..they are more collectible in their own right ,..in identifying more so now than before who the producer is.
    A few decades ago when these appeared on the internet and on Wittmanns paperback catalogs..no telling who the producer was on " some " of these examples.

Great study and research Gents !!

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Default My DRK to review

Hi All .... here’s my DRK ... I had it about 20-25 years, I don’t think the blade as seen much use as the saw tips are as pointed as needles.
    Hope u like it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My DRK Mans Hewer.   My DRK Mans Hewer.  

My DRK Mans Hewer.   My DRK Mans Hewer.  

My DRK Mans Hewer.  

TWS
    ?

Very nice Stevade! Beautiful example. Your blade is stamped like mine.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2