Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Mystery Dagger

Article about: OK guys I think I may have screwed up again.I was a the Big Gun and Knife show that comes trough Memphis twice a year and I came across one of the strangest blades I have ever seen.The guy s

Default Mystery Dagger

OK guys I think I may have screwed up again.I was a the Big Gun and Knife show that comes trough Memphis twice a year and I came across one of the strangest blades I have ever seen.The guy said it was a forestry dagger,but I have never seen one quite like this .It was about 13in long and had a antler handle and a crown pommel it also had I think its called a hand guard that had two curved looking stims with a acorn on either end,the blade was marked eikhorn but with no squirrel but it makers mark was under an oval looking design that the Hand guard was connected to the blade was quite slim and it had a soft black leather scabbed.He wanted 300.00 for it but I had not seen anything like it so I passed.When I got home I went to my books and found a photo of a German Rifle Association blade that looked similar but the photo was much nicer that the one that for sale (see Photo) The hand guard with acorns and the oval (whatever) looked the same the handle was not as long and the antler handle was brown.I Mystery Daggerdecided not to return and buy it >I was up all last night kicking my self in the ass.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mystery Dagger
    P
    Many

Default Re: Mystery Dagger

Hi Opera man, dont kick yourself too much as these are expensive. One thing to keep in mind is before the doors open at these gun and knife shows that the dealers and regular people who set their tables up usually have first dibs on everything before the doors open to the general public. Guaranteed 1 of 2 things could of happened either the original guy selling it did not get any bites from the more knowledgeable and sold it himself or a dealer knew what it really was and sold it for that price. Forestry daggers for example can range anywhere between $1500 - 4000 or more. An item that you have pictured in the reference book,,I would not know what it would be worth,, but for sure if its in a reference book,, I feel it would be worth more than $300
    I was kicking myself as I missed the first day of the Max show in Pittsburg Pa, last October. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I know it hurts when you miss a deal, but I think you did the right thing. More people lose money this way buying a bad item than coming out with a good deal.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

operaman - Here are two daggers/hirschfangers , the one on the left in the picture is for the German Rifle Association(DeutscherSchutzen-verband), it had a celluloid handle which usually cracks very easily - the one I have is made by "Alcoso", etching on the blade , leather scabbard. The dagger /Hirschfanger on the right is a hunting knife also etched blade, Early Eickhorn maker, these are related to the German hunting association.
    The first one , German Rifle Assciation is a very rare dagger and one must be very careful as these are reproduced.

Horst

Mystery DaggerMystery DaggerMystery Dagger
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

The dagger I saw must have been a fake or some sort of Frankenstein parts dagger.The only real similar parts were the acorn stems and the oval on the front.Thank you for your information.

Horst,
    Your info and photo's are right on..here is my Clemen & Jung rifle assoc. dagger with the often seen cracked celluloid, and has the solid green knot and green frog............Dave H
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mystery Dagger  

Solid green knot and green frog................Dave H
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mystery Dagger