Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

need help or advice about a Heer dress dagger

Article about: my German army dress dagger has a loose handle, what would you suggest to tighten the top up without leaving marks on the edges, vise grips I know will mess it up, any suggestions? experts h

Default need help or advice about a Heer dress dagger

my German army dress dagger has a loose handle, what would you suggest to tighten the top up without leaving marks on the edges, vise grips I know will mess it up, any suggestions? experts help! thanks for any help, it is appreciated.
    regards Marty

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement need help or advice about a Heer dress dagger
    P
    Many

Default Re: need help or advice about a Heer dress dagger

Get a bench vise and use rubber jaws (Kobalt) from lowes Hwde. Be very carefull.

Quote by ncblksmth1 View Post
    Get a bench vise and use rubber jaws (Kobalt) from lowes Hwde. Be very carefull.
    thanks, it's my first & only dagger I have, except for a fake ss dagger, but I just wasn't real sure, it doesn't like much being tight, but the handle moving bugs me, thanks again I appreciate it. I just never messed with it because I have never taken one apart. thank you sir.

Hi Marty, the threads can strip very easily. Does the top actually come off? If so just make a little paper washer to stop the movement.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Marty, the threads can strip very easily. Does the top actually come off? If so just make a little paper washer to stop the movement.

Cheers, Ade.
    thanks ADE. I haven't really tried to take it off, because I don't want to strip it, also all I have to work with is a pair of vise grips so I don't want to scar the top, it already has about 3 places on it where someone tried. I appreciate your advice though I think I will wait till I go to my stepsons house, my war wagon tool box is there, along with about my 10-15,000 dollars worth of tools from my days as a mechanic. the box was just too big to bring to my house & I don't have a garage, oh well guess I will wait till this weekend. thanks for all the advice.
    regards Marty

?

Marty, good advise from Ade, try to take the top off by hand, i would never use any type of grips on a dagger, i speak from bitter experience, you might find that the internal thread in the top has slightly stripped already, causing the handle to become loose, i found that the only way to do this was to make the top a permanent fixture by adding a sealant then tighten up as much as possible by hand anf keeping a firm pressure until set

Quote by davejb View Post
    Marty, good advise from Ade, try to take the top off by hand, i would never use any type of grips on a dagger, i speak from bitter experience, you might find that the internal thread in the top has slightly stripped already, causing the handle to become loose, i found that the only way to do this was to make the top a permanent fixture by adding a sealant then tighten up as much as possible by hand anf keeping a firm pressure until set
    ok thanks DAVE I appreciate it, really wasn't sure how it was all attached.
    regards Marty

Hi, Marty !

Ade and Dave have made great suggestions already, and I have used these same methods
    on a few knives/daggers of my own.

I have sometimes wrapped thread, light string or extremely thin wire around the tang
    causing the gap in the loose handle to be filled. As Dave said you may also have to
    use an adhesive (epoxy) to make it more rigid, but don't go crazy
    with the stuff !
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Hi, Marty !

Ade and Dave have made great suggestions already, and I have used these same methods
    on a few knives/daggers of my own.

I have sometimes wrapped thread, light string or extremely thin wire around the tang
    causing the gap in the loose handle to be filled. As Dave said you may also have to
    use an adhesive (epoxy) to make it more rigid, but don't go crazy
    with the stuff !
    Steve I got brave & took off the top cap, there was old dried crazy glue, yes the cap is stripped *&%#@* it al, I can't find my plumbers tape anywhere, I cut part off a band aid & it worked, but I couldn't let it be was gonna add some glue, now the band aid isn't working, so I put it up till I can get to an auto parts store , they make a tape now from loc-tight, it's like plumbers tape ,but it has loc tight on it, wish me luck I will let you know how it works out. thanks to all you guy's for the help.
    regards Marty

Quote by crazy horse View Post
    Steve I got brave & took off the top cap, there was old dried crazy glue, yes the cap is stripped *&%#@* it al, I can't find my plumbers tape anywhere, I cut part off a band aid & it worked, but I couldn't let it be was gonna add some glue, now the band aid isn't working, so I put it up till I can get to an auto parts store , they make a tape now from loc-tight, it's like plumbers tape ,but it has loc tight on it, wish me luck I will let you know how it works out. thanks to all you guy's for the help.

regards Marty
    Teflon tape sounds like a good idea too. You may also be able to find an original
    cap somewhere that is not stripped................!
    Regards,

Steve.