Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

NPEA Leader's Dagger...

Article about: Hi all, Yesterday I purchased several items that were supposed to have been from the estate of a recently deceased WWII US Army veteran. One of the items is an NPEA Leader's Dagger by. Apart

?

Default NPEA Leader's Dagger...

Hi all,
    Yesterday I purchased several items that were supposed to have been from the estate of a recently deceased WWII US Army veteran. One of the items is an NPEA Leader's Dagger by. Apart from the obvious deficiencies such as the broken DRGM marked clip, separated chain and plating lifting off the guard the piece is in fairly good shape overall with a very nice blade. I know next to nothing about TR daggers but from what I can find on the web this rig appears to be a correct later Burgsmuller piece from the Napola school at Schulpforta. What say you fellas?

Len

NPEA Leader's Dagger...NPEA Leader's Dagger...NPEA Leader's Dagger...NPEA Leader's Dagger...NPEA Leader's Dagger...NPEA Leader's Dagger...NPEA Leader's Dagger...NPEA Leader's Dagger...NPEA Leader's Dagger...NPEA Leader's Dagger...NPEA Leader's Dagger...NPEA Leader's Dagger...NPEA Leader's Dagger...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NPEA Leader's Dagger...
    P
    Many

Default Re: NPEA Leader's Dagger...

These are extremely rare and hard to authenticate. I forget his name, but there is a gentleman whom specializes in this dagger. Maybe someone can come along and give some info. on him. As for my opinion, I know NOTHING about these but for what little I've seen, I actually like this one. If it turns out to be original, you have got yourself a wonderful item there sir. Good-luck
    Add: I also believe this is the correct marker, the only marker? I really like the crossguards on it.

Youthcollector is right,, and the gentlemans name who specializes in these is Ron Weinand . Your NPEA is a nice find but......The crossguards IMO are that of a student dagger as it has the HJ Bann number to the right of it.,, which is common with student daggers compared to the leaders dagger which does not have numbers stamped to the right. The photos are good but makes the scabbard look black as all NPEA dagger scabbards were Olive drab in color. Show better photos of that if you can. To find out the whole truth if you dare to venture there is to take a look at the crossguards and the tang, for markings. That choice is yours but for now I feel you have decent piece,,minus the ( black scabbard ) and the student type crossguard. You have a type 2 logo variant ( with the hyphen ) of the Berlin Charlottenburg. Nice to see that. The number 140 is from the town of Koenigsberg and the HJ Gebeit,, name Kurmark.
    The NPEA was mostly compromised of students coming from orphanages...and having their minds twisted into a sick doctrine. These type of students IMO are to be more feared as the were the rabid of the Youth organization. Stolen innocence of youth skipping over into manhood,, and becoming the countries future leaders. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Hi Larry,
    Thanks for your input. The color of the scabbard was distorted in the first pics. It is OD as shown in the accompanying pic. As to disassembly I don't have the little wrench for taking down these Holbein types.

Len

NPEA Leader's Dagger...

Amazing information Larry, thanks for the contribution.

Add: to above post, This is why viewing an item in hand is so much more valuable than a photograph.

A little more information on the school itself..Schulpforta was the 14th NPEA in the school system. Enrollment had grown to 155 students and eight classes by 1942.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Larry i dont agree with you on the stamps, seen chained NPEA's with the same markings.
    I like the Sch. and the 1 compare it with the one below, i having a bit of trouble with the shoulder of the cross guard.

cheers Ger
    NPEA Leader's Dagger...
    NPEA Leader's Dagger...
    NPEA Leader's Dagger...

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Youthcollector is right,, and the gentlemans name who specializes in these is Ron Weinand . Your NPEA is a nice find but......The crossguards IMO are that of a student dagger as it has the HJ Bann number to the right of it.,, which is common with student daggers compared to the leaders dagger which does not have numbers stamped to the right.
    Hi Gerrit,,well as stated it was a matter of opinion,, but I am glad you replied. Is there any more information you can share on the differences between the Students dagger and the leaders dagger ,,,especially in the "crossguard" area? I am sure it can be confusing especially for those and myself who are not familiar with this type of dagger. regards Larry

?

Hi Larry,

currently working on the one above for a friend.
    left side shows NPEA school, otherside is as far as i know the accountability number.

what concerns me on the one originally posted on top is the shape of the crossguards.
    Im only familiar with the early nickel/silver type shape of Burgmuller and they are totally different from the one here shown.
    Hope that someone who is familiar with the late zinc cast alloys can straighten this out.

One should see on the chrome plated one the shape of the H in the cast metal, its normal that the chrome will lift at the breaklines but the H should be visible in the crossguard, be sure its an old stamp, cant make that up with these pictures.
    the stamp made on the softer nickel guards go deeper and will look larger then the ones made in hard zinc chrome plated ones.
    The shape of the Sch looks fine to me, but better pictures have to make that clear.

Ger

?

Looking into the crossguard types of Burgsmuller, the daggers with the logo Burgsmuller Berlin have the type crossguards that your dagger has.
    The Charlottenburg 5 Berlin logo has the type crossguards like i posted

Cheers Ger