Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NPEA Student Dagger - Need Opinions...

Article about: Thx Billy! thats what i like about this forum, there's always someone outhere who did the research, or paid his lesson with hard cash. The willingness to share this knownledge is the base of

?

Default NPEA Student Dagger - Need Opinions...

Hi all,

I came across this NPEA Student Dagger... or at least I hope it is

I'd like to get some opinions on this one. Its very clean so I'm concerned its not genuine. What do you guys think?

Thanks!
    Dzyner
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NPEA Student Dagger - Need Opinions...   NPEA Student Dagger - Need Opinions...  

NPEA Student Dagger - Need Opinions...   NPEA Student Dagger - Need Opinions...  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NPEA Student Dagger - Need Opinions...
    P
    Many

Default Re: NPEA Student Dagger - Need Opinions...

Looks good to me.........................!
    Regards,

Steve.

Looks good it's an early mark1 Burgsmuller trademark the only thing that is different it has a Eickhorn frog stud on the scabbard, it has four slots in it and early Burgsmuller usually had two, is there any marks on the Tang if so oculd you post a pic,hope this helps cheers Ronnie

Hi Gents,

Apologies for contradicting you but this NPEA looks to me to be a complete fake cobbled together of some period parts along with reproduction parts.

For starters, the frog is a modern reproduction & the scabbard looks to have the shape of an SA dagger scabbard that's been modified to resemble an NPEA scabbard including the brazing of the bulb on the bottom. This bulb is way too large to be original & it's shape looks nothing like originals IMHO.

The crossguard markings alleging to be from NPEA Oranienstein is completely unlike the few originals that have appeared in published books on the subject. Based on this, I'd think the crossguards are recycled SA crossguards with the gau mark, if any, taken off.

The blade, which has been pointed out as having the early Bergsmüller mark, has been faked numerous times both poorly & well alike. The most scary of these is probably the NPEA blades made by Rex Reddick which even today can fool most collectors, especially when paired with reasonably looking parts. I should also point out this exact dagger has been making the rounds on various online sales sites including but not limited to ioffer. I'd humbly suggest all stay away from it & if interested in NPEA daggers that you pick up Ron Weinand's books on the subject, these books would likely avoid (or at least limit the possibilities) of one purchasing a humped up example.

?

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in replying to my own post

It is crap. I contacted Ron at Warrelic and he agrees its a fake. One of the tells is the tooled numbers on the cross guard, which should be stamped, among other things.

Just been reading up on student daggers my god its another ball game i was half right anyhow dodgy scabbard and thanks for the lesson Billy G
    cheers Ronnie

Scary...............!

I had no idea there were fakes of such 'high-end' daggers. Very convincing/realistic
    looking if you are not too familiar with them. Definitely pays
    to study before diving in !
    Regards,

Steve.

Ronnie,

Happy to help, always. i got into these daggers 5 or 6 years ago & read up on them as much as possible. If you like them or just like to be able to vet good from bad, Ron W.'s book is the place to start. These are scary daggers since not a ot of people know what specifically to look for & when properly aged, many can be fooled. They also go for big money sometimes so it hurts all the more. Another red flag IMHO is an NPEA dagger priced too well but I guess you can say that about any dagger. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Steve,

You're most correct, it does pay to study before taking the plunge. Some of the Reddick blades are really well done & can fool someone not looking for the telltale signs. Always ask to see the tang markings & what's inside the crossguards. That's a very easy way to tell if something may be a reproduction. Also, sale sites like Epier & iOffer are loaded with fakes. That's not to say Eban isn't as well, but there seem to be more legit items on Eban.

IMHO, Rex Reddick should be put out of business producing these fakes and then someone buying one of his fakes, then turning around and trying to sell them to an unknowledgeable newbie or collector. If he wants to sell this 'crap' he should be made to engrave repro on everything he sells that is fake. If you were to reproduce fake money, or other items such as 'Coach' handbags, just see how long it would take for the FBI and/or Secret Service to act. I for one also think he should be denied setting up a table at all militaria shows.

Billy did a good job of summarizing the problems with the dagger . Also agreeing with Ron W. - with rotary engraved markings (which this seems to be from the images) something that seems to be a recurring theme with a number of items that periodically surface for discussion. FP

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast