Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ok, going out on a limb here... but is this any kind of a significant TR period knife?

Article about: The seller bills it as a TR period or earlier knife. Reibert should be able to shed some light on this? This is a pic of the knife in the ad, the tip looks like it's seen better days... Mine

Update and a correction on my post #9 ...I was mistaken about Friedrich Clauberg ...it was the wrong Clauberg..but still related.

Wilhelm Clauburg was bought absorbed by Anton Wingen.. May 20 , 1920
    .....and also had a Branch office in New York City 47W, 42nd st in the year of 1922.

The name Othello is another Anton Wingen Trademark.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ok, going out on a limb here... but is this any kind of a significant TR period knife?
    P
    Many

?

Seems to be just a throwing knife with no connection to TR or military service.
    Is it numbered?
    Ok, going out on a limb here... but is this any kind of a significant TR period knife?
    Not mine just found while searching to help you out
    Semper Fi Mac
    Phil

Thx Larry, good stuff.

I've been doing the same research on my end, and mine it turns out is an Othello (confirmed), which was an Anton Wingen trademark as you point out after they absorbed the earlier company.

So it seems that these knives (boy's throwing knives I'm guessing) were made by Clauberg, and made the exact same knives under the Othello brand.

It's a cool and unusual knife, kind of a neat little piece, mine has the sheath which is cool.

I'd include a pic but I thought this thread was over.

Quote by Larboard View Post
    Thx Larry, I'd include a pic but I thought this thread was over.
    Sometimes real beauty lays beneath what is in front of our eyes..when it comes to History..the threads are never over

I like threads like these that become larger than how they started.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

They looks to be a solid thrower. I do a little throwing myself. Not eyeball accurate but I can stick them in the size of an opened hand and at 15 feet and they stick out the other side of 1/2 pine boards. I find that none rotational throws I have more penetration. But I have not mastered that type of throw at a distance. So at 25 feet I have to use a full rotation. I prefer to hold the blade vs the handle when throwing, But that all depends on distance and method being used at that distance(Non Rotational/Rotational).

Semper Fi Mac
    Phil

Man, I sure liked throwing knives when I was a kid ;-) It is a good skill to have, as evidenced by the movies we've seen over the years I imagine it is a pretty good commando skill to possess!

Before operating as W. Clauberg he operated as Wilhelm Clauberg &AG from 1847-1918, and sold swords and blades to the Union and Confederacy during the US Civil War. After operating as W. Clauberg, the business was operated as Wilhelm Clauberg AG from 1972-1990.
    So, W. Clauber pre 1972 anyway, but still quite vague... If Larry is right about this maker (there was some confusion there), it is interesting that they got no NSDAP or German military contracts, but made many swords for the US military during the Civil War period, both sides.

Solingen knife history really is a somewhat fascinating and sometimes under researched topic. In the case of a F Herder Abr. knife I posted a while back, the info about the maker mark which could try to help nail down a particular blade as pre 1945 or not seems to be non existent. I tried to email the company, but got nothing back. Herder is the oldest trademark in Germany, yet no one seems to care enough to finely breakdown the changes in logo by time period.

This W. Clauberg seems to be the same case. I can't find much info on the company's logo's throughout time. Here's a W. Clauberg logo on an Civil War sword.

And here's the logo on the knife in the original post, better pic courtesy of the seller.

I feel silly devoting this kind of time to this thread/topic, but it is still of interest, even just to have the info on the forum.

And here's mine, with sheath, next to another Solingen made (probably 70's) Black Mamba throwing knife I found laying in the woods one day. Obviously got away from someone and they couldn't find it. You can see that the W. Clauberg knife is really just a toy, it is very small. The one in this picture (mine) is an Othello, an Anton Wigen brand which as pointed out earlier folded in the 1990's, but I'm guessing mine is probably 60's vintage, when kids got BB guns and throwing knives as toys, not video games...

Thx for your time everyone
    Last edited by Larboard; 12-04-2015 at 11:35 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2