Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Padded Dagger Storage cases

Article about: Hey Gents I just wanted to give you a heads up on an issue that has arisen with one of my Padded zipper storage cases. I have noticed the last few times I have maintained a certain few dagge

Default Padded Dagger Storage cases

Hey Gents I just wanted to give you a heads up on an issue that has arisen with one of my Padded zipper storage cases. I have noticed the last few times I have maintained a certain few daggers in my collection that a repetition is occurring with the same daggers. On my scabbards I am feeling a gritty texture,,and now I know why...............The padding beneath the cloth is beginning to disintegrate and is coming through the cloth and adhering itself to my scabbard..especially the scabbards that have more laquer than others.
    I can lay the padded bag open and flat on a table and I can visually see the grit coming through the cloth. Something like an "Old chair"

A soft cloth and a ( gentle motion ) will remove the gritty padding from the scabbard. This is something that does not easily wipe off like dust. It would be best for those who store their daggers and swords in these type cases to periodically check them as after 5-10 years.
    My cases in question I have had for about 20yrs. IMO if this is left unchecked over a long period of time and periodic edged weapon maintenance is not maintained..that removable grit now will later scratch the finish on your scabbard and eventually find its way into your scabbard.

I dont know for sure of the outcome of the grit scratching the scabbard surface,,but it would be a good idea not to wait and find out. I want our collectors to be aware of how long they had had these cases and may be time for a few new ones.
    Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Padded Dagger Storage cases
    P
    Many

Default Re: Padded Dagger Storage cases

Hi Larry,
    I would suspect that the grit is the least of your worries. If the foam is breaking down, that means that there must be outgassing going on. These daggers need our protection from this problem just like our medals and the rest of our collections do. These cases may protect our daggers from scratches and such when stored together but, if they are outgassing, they are a problem. I do not store anything except current items in these cases.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi Ralph..I am aware of environmental changes that would cause dry rotting,,but for myself and the members here,,please define the term "Outgassing" as this may be another unseen issue that needs to be addressed in storage. I Never heard this term but it might be something simple that I dont understand. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi Larry,
    It is an issue with storing medals in display cases. Wood, foam, cloth, and other materials will either dry out or deteriorate and with this they will give off vapors that are harmful to some, most of the items that we collect. When purchasing frames to display our medals or even documents in, you need to be aware if the wood has been properly sealed as the acids in wood from the sap will cause this to produce a vapor that will ruin the items inside. Even some sealing products will produce outgassing. That is the main reason for archival safe materials to be needed. It is no different for our daggers.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

The foam in cases like these have a large amount of sulpheric acid in them. Not a good thing.

What would be a good padding to use as my wife is a seamstress and to add some kind of padding and a zipper would be nothing to her as these cases are just fold overs. I will post a photo of a completed case with a new dagger friendly material being used,,once I twist her arm...if she doesnt twist mine first.

Hi Larry,
    I would just locate some "archival safe" materials to use. You could try Micheal's, I know they carry some archival safe foam.
    Ralph.

All good info, thx. Yeah, if she's a seamstress, make some zippered cases (or just wraps) from scratch, that would be really cool. The "outgassing", is just the release of toxic or corrosive gasses from toxic materials (PVC and plastics in particular, just like the BPA scare in the water bottles), and FEMA trailers post Katrina come to mind... so the best thing to do is avoid toxic materials.

Stick with natural materials, felt made from real wool, cotton, leather (although holsters have been know to wreak havoc with pistols in damp climates), you don't want leather right next to it probably on account of the tannins in the leather, but leather that's cotton lined, or genuine wool felt lined should be nice.

Natural materials are classier too, they feel nice in the hand, and no strange fumes or smells.

Outgassing is something I deal with every morning when I wake up! Larry if you need help safely storing your daggers just send them my way and I will keep them nice and minty in my display case and I wont even charge you a storage fee!!