Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Periodic Edged Weapon Maintenance

Article about: Hello Gents,, just a reminder to all collectors of Edged Weapons,, to take a look at the blade and metal fittings in your collection. Take notice to see if there is any dirt , overlooked fin

Default Re: Periodic Edged Weapon Maintenance

Here is some good professional advice, and really, never use WD-40 on stuff, it is the most overratted and oversold stuff and in the long run can do more harm than good - it is mildly acidic and reactive. CCI Notes 9/2

You might consider storing and dislpaying your daggers seperate from the sheaths. These are artifatcs serving a different purpose than they were oringally intended for, so you should consider adjusting your perceptions and handling of them if you want to avoid these sorts of developments.. However, that being said many materials have flaws and impuritites from their original manufacture, and these are time bombs that you can't do much about. You may also consider storing them with the little silica dessicant sacs that turn up in many packages you buy at the store. Or buy some fresh ones from a supplier.

If it is worth spending hundreds of dollars on, it is worth spending another $30-40 on good conservation supplies, materials and learning good handling practices.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Periodic Edged Weapon Maintenance
    P
    Many

Quote by asterperious View Post
    However, that being said many materials have flaws and impuritites from their original manufacture, and these are time bombs that you can't do much about.
    I can attest to that fact also as seen in many Daggers,, that appear to have some sort of blackening age spots. Under magnification you can see the trails the bacteria is making. Good Info Asperious
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hello Gents again!!! since my last post...now we are in the Month of July. I can attest to the fact in the East coast region that I am in..it is very humid and sticky. Depending upon the areas in which our members live here and around the world..it is always best to check in on our adopted Solingen children. Take a look at what you have and see their condition..or how they are doing if being stored presently. Check the conditions of the display room..and monitor air quality. Is a a dehumidifier practical?...and watch the level settings of airconditoners...as if over used could cause dryness in the room which may cause any wood grips to crack on those edged weapon types. Remember that most of these new found treasures sat in attics or in hot and cold environments over the last 80 years........so any long term change of display room / or storage temperature should be taken into consideration. Enjoy and protect Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks for the reminder larry, I was going to mow the lawn today but you just gave me a reason out of it I can hear my wife already...
    Her "stop playing with those damn knives again and mow the grass"
    Me "ugh yes dear but how many times do I have to tell you they are called edged weapons!!!"

ETF
    ?

Hello to All and Happy Fourth of July Weekend. A couple of posts back in this thread I mentioned "hoof oil". It is a natural oil made from, you guessed it, animal hoofs. A British collector that I know swears by hoof oil on dagger blades. He claims that it kills bacteria on the blade and is very effective in preventing rust. I didn't get any responses on my asking for opinions on whether or not any forum members have heard of or have used hoof oil. I don't want to use it until I do some additional research and get some feedback before I try it.

Wishing everyone a Safe and Happy Holiday Weekend.
    Ed

Hi ETF...Happy 4th too I have heard of this foot oil which we have here called Neets foot oil..which works miracles on leather hangers belt loops anything made of leather. Thats the first i heard of it being used on blades..but there must be some type of bacteria eating enzyme in the oil. The hoof oil treatment is something to take into consideration..but should be monitored as it is a live and natural oil / lubricant. A test should be used on a generic hunting knife made of this type of steel if possible before any attempts are made on older steel. Good info..and worth a test try

ETF
    ?

Thanks Larry....good suggestion. I'll try a test with it on one of my hunting knives.
    Ed

The fall season is upon us as my last post was July 5th on this topic. Most of collectors today enjoy this time of year for the fall colors of the leaves and the cooler weather...a break from the oppressive heat of the summer months.
    This also is the season for those who have stored their edged weapon collection in safe areas free from humidity to begin to bring them back out for display.
    Now we must take the time to inspect and not take for granted that what we collect is unaffected by our careful storage. Preventive maintenance should be applied even if i is just to look at them...dust them off and inspect for any types of residue. Those who have an air controlled environment..the same applies!
    Take a soft cotton cloth and wipe down the blade and scabbard to at least free it from dust that may have settled over the last few months. Treat your Collectibles with museum quality regardless of how well they may look.
    For those who store daggers in Zipper storage bags...inspect for foam disintegration..which I myself have found a gritty type substance on my scabbards. The disintegrated foam "WILL" adhere itself to your scabbards and grips..having the texture of a rough surface. This can be removed with gentle rubbing..which comes off with no effects to the scabbard or grip. Toss the old padded bag in the trash.
    Inspect thoroughly for any cracks,,discoloration...haze...rust....and worse yet....Steel eating cancer..which has been noted on my WKC SA a few posts back on this thread.
    Shelless snails also called ..."slugs"' leave a shiny trail on walls and on concrete...so as the same can happen with Steel eating cancer that leaves minute trails that eat into the steel as it travels. Unnoticeable to the eye..but under an eye loop..pock marks and holes.

I know I have repeated these observances many times..but just as reminders never take anything for granted especially when preserving History.
    Remember that we were given a trust to uphold...and should be respected as such. Take the time and check it out. Regards Larry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Periodic Edged Weapon Maintenance   Periodic Edged Weapon Maintenance  

?

Larry,

Thanks for rekindling the thread. I will be checking my blades when I get back home.

ETF
    ?

Default Thank You

Excellent advice Larry. Thank you.
    Ed
    Last edited by Adrian Stevenson; 09-19-2013 at 07:08 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast