Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

POLL & OPINIONS: WWII Dagger, Swords & Knife Storage

Article about: Fellow Blade Lovers, I have been collecting WWII edged weapons for almost 30 years now. I am always interested, open & intrigued in finding out how my fellow collectors store their value

?

Same here Larry !!

Also when i receive a dagger or knife, i always give the blade a gentle wipe down with a very soft dry cloth to remove any dirt or fingerprints, i do not go near the motto or makers logo !!

never used any Renwax or similar product, my blades are totally fine after many years, no change.

Regards Mac 66.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement POLL & OPINIONS:  WWII Dagger, Swords & Knife Storage
    P
    Many

?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Hello Rossi, I don't believe I have said this before,
    Welcome to the forum!
    I store the majority of my pieces out of the scabbards and most in display cases. As the atmosphere here is quite dry in the winter and relatively dry in the summer, there is little fear of rust developing unless due to poor storage.
    I clean any items when they arrive and sometimes actually, if the situation requires, make new wooden liners for my sword scabbards, (I always keep the originals). I will not oil any of my blades due to the fact that this will actually attract dust, and after cleaning, apply a light coat of Ren Wax. After that they only require the occasional check and wipe.
    Most of my bayonets are cleaned when they arrive and given a light coat of Ren Wax and put back into the scabbards.
    Here are a few photos of my displays.
    Ralph.
    What Ralph said. Been doing this for 40 years and have never had a problem.

?

I have used renwax on blades ( but not on Motto or logo: there are posts of collectors who think that renwax harms blacking in Motto & logo) and saw no difference in condition comparing them with blades that i only wipe off gently after use....
    Now a good friend of mine did noticed that heer blades that had greying lost this greying after being in Ballistol for a year or so.
    Ballistol does not harden out, prefents from corrosion and has the ability to absorb dirt.
    ( wow, reading it back it sounds like i have some Ballistol Stock, LOL)

What is Always needed is to check at least a few times a year what the condition of the oil/blade is, and renew it when dry or needed.
    Clean the blade before using oil again, never harms!

Balliston oil? well....Might be something that i want to try....

So far a nice cloth has been a great help and did the job fair enough...but Always in for a learning process.

Regards,
    Ger

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    I display most of my blades out of their scabbards
    in a wall mount cabinet. Some have been hanging
    there for 25 years. I wipe them occasionally with a
    soft cloth with gun oil on it. Then again with a dry cloth.
    I have not had any issues with this method.( I do plan
    on trying Ren wax as most collectors seem to agree this
    is a great product)

Of coarse it must be noted that I do not have any high
    value pieces so never felt the need to get too anal about
    this.
    Very nice picture Chopperman! May i ask what is this cross in the middle? Eye-catching shape!!!!!

Quote by LizardKing View Post
    Very nice picture Chopperman! May i ask what is this cross in the middle? Eye-catching shape!!!!!
    sorry for the delay--

It's a novelty cast aluminum "surfer's cross" . popular in the
    60's and 70's and still found on ebay.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Hello all. New member. Recently returned from a business trip to China. During my trip I picked up a couple of daggers. I'm trying to determine their backstory. Not interested in selling them as I intend to give them to my sons. Would it be possible to post photos here?

Quote by cmquigley View Post
    Hello all. New member. Recently returned from a business trip to China. During my trip I picked up a couple of daggers. I'm trying to determine their backstory. Not interested in selling them as I intend to give them to my sons. Would it be possible to post photos here?
    Hello and welcome to the forum!
    Depending on what types they are, you should be able to find the appropriate section here.
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/dagge...s-third-reich/
    Please do post them, we all like to look at new acquisitions.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by cmquigley View Post
    Please try to determine which type you have and you should find a section listed at the top of this area that should cover it. If you are wrong, the Mods will be happy to help you.
    Click on this link and scan through the different sections at the top. Choose which one you believe to be appropriate and start your separate thread for each there.
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/dagge...s-third-reich/
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2