Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pretty RAD!!!

Article about: Hi Guy's, This is my latest acquisition, a minty RAD Hewer by Gottlieb Hammesfahr with full 'Bullet' type rig......and I think a little bonus with it. It's out the woodwork from a watchmaker

Default Pretty RAD!!!

Hi Guy's,

This is my latest acquisition, a minty RAD Hewer by Gottlieb Hammesfahr with full 'Bullet' type rig......and I think a little bonus with it.

It's out the woodwork from a watchmaker in Austria who got it directly from the veterans son. The hewer is an early type, all the fittings are solid nickel. The grips are nice thick staghorn scales and the screws appear to have never been turned, as neither have those on the scabbard. The blade shows no appreciable wear, there are no dings or scratches present, just some faint vertical shadows from the scabbards interior retaining springs. The scabbard still retains over 95% of it's original black lacquer with a little rubbing from where the hanger was touching it over the last 70 odd years, but no dings to it or the bottom chape.

The hanger itself is a lovely piece on it's own, the metal scabbard clip is marked H&Co. 38 and is in perfect condition, as is the rarer belt clip with it's own metal clip. If you look at the pictures you'll note that there's a suprise extra....What do you think?

This wasn't cheap, but the condition was far better than the original photo's from the vendor, when I got it the blade was covered in some type of emulsified grease, and when I wiped it off I was staggered at what was beneath, a practically mint blade! This and the superb condition of the rig, plus the "bonus" attached to it, make what I paid for it a bargain when put next to others (nowhere near as nice) on all the dealer sites I looked at. Once or twice in a collector's life a real gem crops up, and this is mine.

All thoughts and comments are welcome!

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pretty RAD!!!   Pretty RAD!!!  

Pretty RAD!!!   Pretty RAD!!!  

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Pretty RAD!!!
    P
    Many

A couple more that wouldn't fit in the first lot...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pretty RAD!!!   Pretty RAD!!!  

We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Vey Nice. The blade on that is in beautiful condition!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

What a stunning acquisition Ned ! a beauty ! Great find especially with known history
    Thanks for showing.......impressive side arm !
    Prost ! Steve.

A great find your Nedness!....

What can I say Ned?
    A real beauty with the hanger and all.
    Congrats!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks Chaps! Anyone got any thoughts on 'the bonus', what is it, and why is it there??

?

Hi Ned,

Thats a beauty EM Rad Hewer with 2 hangers

the small hanger ( the bonus) is for an early Rad hewer

Lovely Blade !!

Congrats

Mac 66.

Quote by Mac 66 View Post
    Hi Ned,

Thats a beauty EM Rad Hewer with 2 hangers

the small hanger ( the bonus) is for an early Rad hewer

Lovely Blade !!

Congrats

Mac 66.
    That's what I was thinking, excellent! It shows no sign of ever being used, maybe replaced during the original purchase and just buckled onto the later type hanger perhaps? Thanks Mac, I won't forget.

?

A real beauty Ned ! I love it
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast