Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

RAD Fatman

Article about: Talking about German edged weapon collecting we must admit that there are some items on which opinions of collectors vary. It includes first model of railway dagger, Puma marine daggers, U9,

?

Great thread den70

interesting & very helpful, thank you

Regards Mac 66.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement RAD Fatman
    P
    Many

?

Fatman was, and is a real period RAD hewer that appears to never have been issued. It appears James Atwood found them 'In Stock' and reissued them to the collectors market in the 1960's.
    The ones you show with a slot in the blade I consider period made. All in MHO.
    I concur with Bob Coleman.
    -wagner-

They were issued but likely in a limited amount. I was not aware of the Atwood connection to these. As I mentioned previously, I bought my first in a junk shop and later veteran acquired examples.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

I stumbled on this thread while researching this RAD EM Hewer that I recently acquired. Mine has several similar traits to the "Fatman" version shown in this post (and others), however, there are also several differences. Here are the similarities and differences that I see:

Similarities that are also unique to the Fatman version:

• Motto is on the reverse side of the blade, not the front, and in the same position along the blade as the Fatman.
    • The throat fitting's "figure 8" design inconsistencies match with the Fatman's design (note the inconsistent line widths of the lowest and largest (center) "tear drop")
    • The scabbard screws are the rounded type, which match to those found on the Fatman's scabbard.

Differences from the Fatman version:

• The blade style is that of the common RAD EM Hewer
    • There is no maker's mark on the blade whatsoever
    • The stag grip plates are not as fat (closer to a standard RAD EM Hewer)

I'm very curious about this example, as it deviates from both the Fatman AND the standard version in a category all it's own, yet the construction, materials, finish, fit, style, attributes, etc are very consistent with the period. I don't like throwing out the word "prototype", but the lack of a makers mark leads me to believe that this is something unique, possibly a transitional version?

Thoughts?

RAD Fatman

RAD Fatman

RAD Fatman

RAD Fatman

RAD Fatman

RAD Fatman

RAD Fatman

RAD Fatman

RAD Fatman

RAD Fatman

RAD Fatman

RAD Fatman

RAD Fatman

RAD Fatman

Thanks!
    Dzyner

?

Interesting Hewer there Dzyner.
    However, it has mostly features of a standard RAD. These 'odd' example with the motto on the reverse, instead of the obverse, are sometimes seen in both EM and Officer models. Some like yours with no maker marks. All of these IMHO, are period examples. Problem is, that there is no concrete documentation for their variation, or even for the wildly different 'Fatman'.
    Ron W. has a good story about being at a 'show' many years ago and a Vet walked in with a box of Em and Off. hewers, that he said he got out from a factory. In there were a couple of Fatmans, and some of these reverse blade motto hewers all in mint condition.

-Serge (aka wagner)

?

Thanks for the reply Serge. I have an officer version as well shown in another post, also with no Maker’s mark and the motto on the reverse. I’d love for you to have a look at that one as well. Here’s the link...

Have you encountered RAD EM and Leader daggers without makers marks?

I read Ron’s story, good stuff! He’s not the only one I’ve read about who witnessed first hand these daggers in the hands of the vets themselves. I read from another reputable source here ln the forum that he acquired a couple of these types prior to Atwood’s time and directly from veterans. Hard to doubt them with numerous first hand accounts.

?

I believe a period piece here. Just personally have not seen lack of makers marks or motto on reverse bode side on RAD Em and Leader Hewers. There I am sure is the story as to why and how this occurred we may never know. I do feel in my opinion 100% original components and that it is simply not the norm. Why? Who knows but this piece and the leader piece you posted as well do not scare me about being reproductions.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Hello...

I was reading this thread and found it interesting...

I too have a weird one I believe... it’s not a fat man. This one is lacking the acceptance triangle stamp. In my opinion, it looks original for the most part... the motto and the makers mark both lack the black outline, almost like they were scrubbed off.

I was just wondering your thoughts... haven’t seen one line it online.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAD Fatman   RAD Fatman  

RAD Fatman   RAD Fatman  

RAD Fatman  

?

26intrepid, wasn't this Hewer already discussed ?
    Rad dagger
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Yes,,, I’m questioning why there’s not a acceptance triangle... price has come way down and considering the purchase. I’m just curious if the person that created this thread has a definitive answer.

I don’t believed these were ever available for civilian purchase... so was this one scrubbed of the triangle? Or parts dagger? Or early variant? I Was hoping for clarification before the purchase.

Sorry, didn’t mean to offend anyone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast