Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

RAD Hewer

Article about: Hello to all, dear friends I ask you for help with this RAD hewer. This piece was find in the ground by my friend Miroslav from Czech republic few years ago. Despite this fact, hewer is surp

Default RAD Hewer

Hello to all,
    dear friends I ask you for help with this RAD hewer. This piece was find in the ground by my friend Miroslav from Czech republic few years ago. Despite this fact, hewer is surprisingly in very good condition and blade bears rare marker mark - E. Pack. Scabbard is rusty, but details are still visible, blade is in very good condition, handle has genuine stag grips but screws are replacements, some corrosion is on grip and crsossguard. My friend ask me for help because he want to sell this item, and he want to know how valuable this item is. I do not collect his kind of items, so please help me with this hewer. I also believe that this hewer is authentic, but I don´t have experience or knowledge about RAD items.

Thanks for your comments and help

Best regards Peter
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAD Hewer   RAD Hewer  

RAD Hewer   RAD Hewer  

RAD Hewer   RAD Hewer  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement RAD Hewer
    P
    Many

Hi Peter..with ground dug finds..especially with hewers in this state of preservation..questions will follow as how it was found....was it sealed or wrapped up in something. I am very cautious of the logo and the ges gesch stamp being in the blood groove... Honestly I have not noticed this before..and would like to see if there is another Pack example that can confirm any suspicions I have.

being buried for almost 80 yrs in the ground.... I would expect a worse condition than just on the lower scabbard fitting.

Was this Hewer cleaned up after the dig?
    Was it protected by something wrapped around it?
    is there another period example to compare the logo to?

more information is needed..as the story..just does not match the condition..after nearly 80 yrs.

need more info from your friend who is selling this and more input from the RAD collectors also. Im not doubting..this Hewer..but lets just say.."Im curious" Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hi Peter..with ground dug finds..especially with hewers in this state of preservation..questions will follow as how it was found....was it sealed or wrapped up in something. I am very cautious of the logo and the ges gesch stamp being in the blood groove... Honestly I have not noticed this before..and would like to see if there is another Pack example that can confirm any suspicions I have.

being buried for almost 80 yrs in the ground.... I would expect a worse condition than just on the lower scabbard fitting.

Was this Hewer cleaned up after the dig?
    Was it protected by something wrapped around it?
    is there another period example to compare the logo to?

more information is needed..as the story..just does not match the condition..after nearly 80 yrs.

need more info from your friend who is selling this and more input from the RAD collectors also. Im not doubting..this Hewer..but lets just say.."Im curious" Regards Larry
    A comparable hewer by Pack & Sohne shown here a while back, the blade looks very similar regarding the etch going into the fuller. Regarding the condition, i'm leaning toward 'barn/attic/cellar find' rather than 'ground dug', perhaps a little misinterpretation somewhere?

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/dagge...hanger-328322/

Regards, Ned.
    Last edited by big ned; 04-16-2014 at 08:05 PM.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

As been said a barn or attic find, otherwise the state would be very different.
    IMO the Logo and rad etch seems perfectly normal for a Pack and on the right spot.
    Seeing them sold for prices 1200 dollar and up for decents ones, this one could do 500 dollars with its wear to the hilt and scabbard and replaced gripplate screws, but it has a pristine blade thats speaks for it.

Regards,
    Ger

Hi to all, thanks for your comments. I ask my friend how and where this hewer was find. He find this hewer in old stone-pit in steep hill under the rocks and leafs - so hewer was in dry place protected from rain... so that is why its condition is so good. He also told me, that he clean carefully. I ask for some better photos from place when it was find.

Again thanks to all for help!

Regards Peter