Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rad officer dagger hangers..opinion

Article about: hi all...i'd like to know your opinion only on the hangers of this Rad officer dagger...i'm not sure about that bubbling on the brown leather...what do you think?? Thanks a lot Annoyed from

Default Rad officer dagger hangers..opinion

hi all...i'd like to know your opinion only on the hangers of this Rad officer dagger...i'm not sure about that bubbling on the brown leather...what do you think??
    Thanks a lot
    Rad officer dagger hangers..opinionRad officer dagger hangers..opinion

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rad officer dagger hangers..opinion
    P
    Many

Well considering who's selling them I doubt if they are wrong ones. and at $600 it's about the right price. Relics of the Reich have a good reputation. I've seen hangers just like these before, so i would say they were ok, and rare!

?

Lucabrnroma,

I grabbed pictures of mine and posted below. Hope it helps. My rig has similar leather hangers you are showing. In regards to the bubbling? Are you speaking of the pebbled grain of the leather on front of straps? Do you have any close ups of the hangers? Are the back of the clips DRGM marked? It looks like they are stamped with it but can't make out letters. One other observation is the front of your clips are pebbled only where as the ones I have do have a cast oak leaf motif into them. My straps are a smooth leather and not pebbled on leather. I believe you are just fine and these are authentic hangers as John Brandon mentioned. If the hangers were only $600 I would buy them. Good luck. See what Gwar, Gerrit, Larry C and the rest of the team says as well.

Quote by lucabrnroma View Post
    hi all...i'd like to know your opinion only on the hangers of this Rad officer dagger...i'm not sure about that bubbling on the brown leather...what do you think??
    Thanks a lot
    Rad officer dagger hangers..opinionRad officer dagger hangers..opinion
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rad officer dagger hangers..opinion   Rad officer dagger hangers..opinion  

Rad officer dagger hangers..opinion   Rad officer dagger hangers..opinion  

"It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

The 'bubbling' on the leather is an embossed pattern that is used on second grade leather where the grain is irregular or it has scars/imperfections. The leather is first tanned (most likely chromium sulphate in this case) to make it pliable and supple, then sanded down before being embossed with the pattern and the treated with dyes or pigments to give it a clean, uniform finish. This is known as 'corrected grain' leather and is excellent in resisting wear and becoming misshapen. I see no problem with it being period.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Great Info and data Big Ned!

bravo Ned.

Thanks guys. As you know, I have some experience in both leather and rubber.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Guys, Imo the bubbled type are replica's I am too looking for RAD officer hangers, but I shall be buying the smooth type.

The other problem with the hangers in question is they are being sold by mike morris, I think if you google mike morris militaria (relics of the reich) that will give you more than enough reasons not to buy these.

hope im not too late, Matty

?

Well this is a hard one for sure, ive been looking into it before making my contribution.
    I had the same reservations about this one as Matty has.
    Not because i heard bad things about Mike, but looking at the hangers i didnt like the metal finish.
    Ive seen recently 2 very good copy's from Tjechie (CZ) and they did used the bubbling leather and the coloured finish on the metal.
    That " an sich" is not proof enough to make it a repro, but im missing the typical wear and its colour change on the metal.
    It does show wear and reveals the zinq based metal that could fit the period of the cheap bubbling late war leather, but i dont like the typical dark bronze colour they used as finish.
    That alone would be enough for me to look for a textbook flat example like Rossi showed, like that set Rossi!

Militarycollectibles has a similar one, that could have been the model for the repro guys and i will show it here.
    That one is priced at 2195- dollars, a bit overpriced it is but it easily triples the Mike Morris hanger, ask yourself why...
    That one has that typical colour change in leather and metal that leave little doubt about it.
    2 things keeps me from buying this one, first red flag: its price, you all know that!
    Second: i dont like the finish on the metal parts, seen that on the recent CZ repro's, and they costs 130 dollars
    I would think twice before buying that one.
    Im not saying this one is bad for sure, but i have my reservations, and 600 dollars is a bit to much to play with imo.
    My advise: if you dont have provenance stick to a well known textbook one......saves a headache or two
    Regards,
    Ger
    Rad officer dagger hangers..opinionRad officer dagger hangers..opinionRad officer dagger hangers..opinionRad officer dagger hangers..opinionRad officer dagger hangers..opinion

?

Great stuff Matty, Gerritt and Big Ned. 600.00 did seem a little low to me. I bought mine years ago from a fellow collector with the dagger so good to know roughly what they are going for.

Gerritt is like a pit bull with a tenacious pursuit for the bone. You da man. Thanks as always for your support of the forum bro

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast