Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

RLB Second Pattern With Hangers

Article about: Gentlemen please can you confirm the authenticity of this RLB rig? I have just been sent these images from a prospective seller that look fine however I am not educated on current copy hange

Quote by Rossi View Post
    Hey Lufty,

I would ask seller for better hanger pics as well. From what I can see the ones on the dagger look okay but seeing close ups would not hurt. Here first are photos my hangers with my 2nd model Officer RLB for comparison and also some photos from Tom Wittmann on a set he has for sale with a dagger. Use these as a guideline when viewing the hangers on your dagger your considering. Also ask for pictures of belt clip to view makers mark on hangers clip. They will likely be marked DRGM and M 5/10 RZM as well. The leather the Germans used in these hangers was not great considering the weight they bore.

Also....Not trying to beat the photo thing like a dead horse. We all care about each other's collections first and wallets as well. I sometimes feel sellers skimp on photos. It is either laziness, ignorance or they are hiding something. If your shelling out the cash for an item you DESERVE and should EXPECT pictures of every angle of the dagger and hanger you desire to gauge authenticity.

Attachment 1091636

Attachment 1091637

Attachment 1091639

Attachment 1091640

Attachment 1091638

Attachment 1091644

Attachment 1091642

Attachment 1091645

Attachment 1091643

Attachment 1091647

Attachment 1091646

Here is also a nice enlarged blow up of this maker's logo for comparison from another dagger elsewhere:

Attachment 1091649
    I fully salute the constructive observations and effort you have invested in this thread.
    Perhaps these are still the hardest daggers to verify from pictures of any quality.
    If this were in our hands the task of verification might be easier .
    The 1970's copy can commonly suffer from a poorly filed swastika .
    Without more quality images the verdict stands unresolved .
    more images have been requested .
    Many Thanks Lufty Lufty .

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement RLB Second Pattern With Hangers
    P
    Many

Last edited by Larry C; 07-11-2017 at 09:53 AM.

I uploaded the photos to your post.

No Need for a Zip file Lufty please upload photos directly from your computer ..no files, photo hosting sites or links are preferred or they will be become useless in a matter of time. You have uploaded photos thus far..why the link or file now?

Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Nothing sinister intended I had been sent the zip so it seemed expedient to pass it on thank you for the explanation !

I decided to take the plunge and buy the rig. If it arrives in one piece I will post additional images.
    The seller just sent this message .
    Hello David - I trust you received tracking # for package? It was sent yesterday Priority Express and should arrive in the next 2-3 days. It was packed very well in a box inside another box. I also attended the actual Estate sale where these came from yesterday and the gentlemans name was John Gann , He was in the 512th military police during WW2 - ( which was the 224th from 1942-47). He originally was State side at Fort Dix but was at the Naval battle of Leyte Gulf, Philippines in 1944 and lastly was in Finland in 1945... I will send you pictures of the Luftwaffe dagger too if you are interested in it? Just let me know. Thanks Mike

Lufty,

I will just add to what others have stated about good clear pictures and getting as much information prior to purchasing... and one other thing to mention... This has been well known for a long time by collectors and I am sure you know this as well... that we must "Buy the item and not the story".. The additional information that the seller provided about where the item came from is nice, but that's all. Unless there is absolute rock solid provenance with an item I don't necessarily trust information. The Military Police connection to the item may be true, or it may just be added information to "sell" the item so to speak. Not sure why that information was added, possibly to deceive and to convince someone to purchase...

Not sure if I have ever heard of any US Army units being in Finland in 1945??? This would be rather strange to be transported across the globe from the Pacific to Europe in 1945. Not that it has not been done before, but I am really scratching my head with the Finland statement....

Just one other observation.. The name given to you from the estate sale can be researched. I did a quick search on ancestry and I found several thousand hits with the name John Gann. Now, not knowing where the sale was, and other basic information about Mr. Gann, date of birth, etc, then it would be near impossible to confirm what information was provided to you... Again dealers with unscrupulous morals will use this tactic to deceive a potential buyer.. In no way, shape, form or fashion am I claiming this happened in this situation,, just trying to make you aware of what has been done in the past to unsuspecting buyers...

I am sure that you are aware of these things but as stated we all have an interest in each others collections and value our money since we work hard to earn and enjoy our collections..

I would also have asked the seller if not satisfied with the item if they would offer a 100% money back guarantee.

Best of luck with your purchase, and we look forward to hearing back from you about this dagger..

Smitty

Hi Smitty,
    In The Event Of The Rig Being Anything Other Than Real Then I Am Prepared !.
    The Only Negative Comment Was Based On The Belief That Fakes In Salty Condition
    Are Emerging From Poland ..I Have Posted A Salty SS m40 Pot This Week ,I Hope This Is Not
    A Fake Of Polish Origin?. If Anyone Positively Believed That The Rig Was A Fake Then They Remained Quite.
    When The war In Europe Ended Troops Were Sent Across The World To Prepare For The War Against Japan.
    Finland Is However A Troubling Element To This Account ,,,

The Same Guy Has just Sent Me Pictures Of An Identically Salty Luft 1 By Tiger Photographed on the same cloth From the same estate .
    This is highly reassuring!

?

Hey Lufty,

Excited for you and hope it is all you hoped for. Look forward to seeing your pictures when you get. Keep us posted. Best wishes.

Rossi
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Default RLB Officers Dagger And Hangers Arrived Safe And Sound

Hello Gentlemen ,
    After Many Weeks Stuck In U.K. Customs
    The RLB Officers Second Pattern Dagger Arrived Together With Straps .
    Upon Close Inspection The Pommel Appears looks untarnished rather than newly cleaned?
    It Might Be lacquered Aluminium ?.
    With The Cross guard N Ally Or Silver Plated pot metal?
    The Chape And upper Scabbard Fittings are plated steel.
    The Center Fitting Appears To Be silver Plated Brass.
    Everything Fits Tight.
    The Logo Is Feint almost photo etched in appearance ?
    I have observed this feint trade mark before on an EM second pattern.

The First Pattern Luftwaffe That accompanied this went immediately to
    a seasoned collector. I am not troubled by the late or transitional features of this piece
    and the straps look A1 :great .

I must confess that I dabbed (Not Polished) silver dip onto the worst of of the tarnish ,
    It now looks more presentable
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RLB Second Pattern With Hangers   RLB Second Pattern With Hangers  

RLB Second Pattern With Hangers   RLB Second Pattern With Hangers  

RLB Second Pattern With Hangers  
    Last edited by luftyluftylufty; 08-17-2017 at 09:34 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2