Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Rough DRK Hewer

Article about: To clean or not to clean? I usually try not to mess with patina but in this case I might consider some efforts just to prevent the rust from spreading further. What do you gentlemen think? B

?

Nice start Jan, let the oil do the talking instead of the sanding paper

Ger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rough DRK Hewer
    P
    Many

Noooooo, of course never sandpaper, horrible results!!!!

On the other hand, 0000 or 000 steelwool can be used in certain situations, will not leave any traces. It just depends on the material. Nickel plate is soft and will scratch, steel on the other hand, a steel blade will not be affected by steel wool this fine, I don't even think you could affect cross graining, unless you were to rub for hours....

So use caution and good judgement about the areas that need work.

Jan
    ?

Quote by Larboard View Post

On the other hand, 0000 or 000 steelwool can be used in certain situations, will not leave any traces. It just depends on the material. Nickel plate is soft and will scratch, steel on the other hand, a steel blade will not be affected by steel wool this fine, I don't even think you could affect cross graining, unless you were to rub for hours....

Oil and time and good judgement is all I need

Best,

Jan

Quote by Larboard View Post

If you are worried about the final product, I would never recommend steel wool, it will scratch, just so fine you can't see it without some form of magnification. A fine polish, like chrome polish for you vehicle will do with a rag or Q-Tip and plenty of patience.
    Here is one that I did.
    Imperial Lion's Head Artillary Saber
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Jan
    ?

The oil is really doing the trick on the blade. Just a soft wipe every now and then is all thats needed. I will concentrate on the blade and leave everything else as it is. The patina around the eagle is just wonderful.

Best,

Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rough DRK Hewer   Rough DRK Hewer  

Rough DRK Hewer   Rough DRK Hewer  

Rough DRK Hewer  

?

Hi Jan,

Great preservation job

keep up the good work !

Regards Mac 66.

Forgot to mention an old toothbrush can be great for removing crud from little nooks and crannies. Patina is one thing but built up crud usually looks better gone? Toothpics also, they won't scratch anything and might get rid of what's around the Swastika unless you like it. Q tips can be helpful too.

?

Jan also use the WD40 on the scabbard, it will give very good results on them too!

Ger

Jan
    ?

Some of You wanted to buy a DRK hewer, look no further here is one in perfect condition!!!!

DRK Red Cross Man

Best,

Jan

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4