Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Shaska/Shashka is it real or fake?

Article about: I guess the first part is it real or fake. I'm fasinated by its history if it is a true Cossak (sp) shaska meant for Cossacks that joind the other side for fear of what Mother Russia had ins

Default Re: Shaska/Shashka is it real or fake?

I would call before going to Rudys house IMO...

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Shaska/Shashka is it real or fake?
    P
    Many

HE HE HE !!!

On to another part or question I had. Wheather or not this particular piece is authentic it does share something I've seen on most
    all shashka swords and that is the strange shape of the top of the pummel.
    Why is there a semicircular notch in it? As soon as I saw it a rifle barrel rest came to mind. Similar to the onse hunters use to this day.
    Drop to one knee, insert point into ground and while holding the wood grip, rest the rifle barrel on that butt to steady a shot. Even if
    it was never meant for that purpose I'd still take advantage of it.

So is it just a design thing or was there a reason for it?

Rudy
    "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity & make it work for you."
    Frank Zappa

Hello Rudy, Interesting question! The groove in the pommel cap of the shashka was made that shape to resemble the traditional Cossack hat. Some of the more elaborate officer's sabres that you see with the silver and ivory etc. grips have pommels that are Very deeply grooved and have flaring tips like ears on them. On a more practical side, the splitting on the pommel makes for a nice ball shape behind the hand and grooving or splitting it takes away from the excessive weight this made. The shashka/sashka/shashqua etc was an Extremely functional sword and everything about it was all business. But this didn't stop the flamboyant Cossacks from decorating the limits out of it just to show off!
    (no self respecting Cossack would Ever have dreamed of ramming his beloved Shashka into the ground and possibly damaging it's blade! Someone's Head.....well,that was a different matter altogether!)
    William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Very interesting. And again the WWR people came through.
    Eric made another observation that he thought those stampings don't belong
    on a sword to begin with. Maybe he'll explain later.

Since I purchased it at a show from a guy that did say he knew nothing about it other than he
    thought it was Russian or even a fake at that it's all mine. Not like he tried to hide the possibility.
    So while I did loose some on this thing after the show this guy and his brother stoppedd by the
    house and I ended up with a $950.00 profit.

I'll hold on to it unless I some day run into a person interested in a fantasy piece.

Thanks for the help and support,
    Rudy
    "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity & make it work for you."
    Frank Zappa

As has already been stated a postwar fake. For comparison purposes here is a legitimate Soviet period example. FP
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Shaska/Shashka is it real or fake?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Shaska/Shashka is it real or fake? 

Very nice but wish the pictures were cleaner.
    I do believe that I must own an original some day since the one I have may be WWW4 it sure feels good in the hand.

Thanks, Rudy
    Frank Zappa

I will take better pics outside tomorrow but how does this look to you all. I'm sure Rudy my friend wont mind if I post pics on his thread I hope?

Eric

It's missing the leather ring between the blade and handle I know.

Eric

Not at all. The more I see the more I like.
    Guessing this would be a sabre ? Looks much more authentic than the one I posted and like it's seen some combat perhaps.

Frank Zappa

Hello Rudy, If you're really getting into Russian sabres,check out the Tsars Arsenal site. They have Incredible swords and everything else to go with them! Oh,they're not Cheap(you have to annoying Ask about the price of each one)but they Do know their stuff!) Tsars Arsenal - Russian Imperial awards, swords, icons, sabres, dirks, daggers, uniforms, orders, medals, badges Good luck! William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast