Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Social Welfare and DRK daggers

Article about: Hello Gents, here are a more of my blades. this social welfare dagger was a local vet return. and came back as is with the scabbard shown in the first pic. rectangular hanger holes. but i ha

?

Default Social Welfare and DRK daggers

Hello Gents,
    here are a more of my blades.
    this social welfare dagger was a local vet return. and came back as is with the scabbard shown in the first pic. rectangular hanger holes. but i have a second scabbard with a junk blade that has the round holes. i think both are interchangable for social or medical.
    the DRK hewer is in nice condition too.
    andrew
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Social Welfare and DRK daggers   Social Welfare and DRK daggers  

Social Welfare and DRK daggers   Social Welfare and DRK daggers  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Social Welfare and DRK daggers
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Social Welfare and DRK daggers

I'll take the "junk bladed" one.

Simply stunning, and ultra cool that the Nazis could find reason for a medical worker to have a dagger. I like the saw back hewer. The portipee looks excellent and blade is 100%.

You have a brother named Horst by chance?

?

Hi drdata,
    thanks for taking a look. the DRK hewer's were field carried by medics. the saw back was for cutting wood for splints. the chisel point was used for splitting wood for the splint. i'm not talking about splitting logs. but you could cut a sapling tree, and split it for a splint.
    i thought there might be more comments on this one.
    ya drdata, i think Horst could be a brother by another mother. and Hal too. lol.
    andrew

?

I like that hewer.... First I have ever seen.

Thanks for sharing.

?

Hi Andrew , they are in super condition , and great to see , thanks
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Hi Hal,
    thanks for taking a look. i was starting to wonder why no one was posting lol. my self i have not seen many with the social welfare hangers and matching knot.
    andrew

Hi Andrew top quality daggers again is it true about the square holes and round on the scabbard means a different rank i am not sure if i read it somwhere have you heard of this or am i getting mixed up "again"
    cheers Ronnie

P.S how many daggers do you actually own
    keep them coming i love em

Hi Andrew, these are all great.

Hi Ronnie, I too wonder about the validity of the hanger holes theory to distinguish between branches, Social welfare verses DRK. I wonder if this came about due to period documentation or just collector lore?

Cheers, Ade.

i am not too sure myself Ade, i remember reading about this somwhere, i will have a little look through my books and see if i can find out a bit more, or maybe one of the more advanced collectors can shed a little light on it, but as you say what started this "theory"??? interesting to find out,
    cheers Ronnie

OK i have just had a little read on this here is what i read hope this helps
    the Social welfare dagger was the same as the red cross exceptfor the following differences, this is all speculation based on 1 persons theory, there are no documented fact's to sustain this theory at all,
    1- hanger fixings on scabbard had square instead of round.

2- double strap hangers had square pebbledash buckles not the roundbuckles of red cross officer.

3the dual hanger straps were grey velvet with blue aluminium facings as opposed tored facings of red cross officer dagger,

and it goes on to say No documented facts to sustain any difference and the difference may only be manufacture variations and cost cutting efforts rather than anything else,

cheers Ronnie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast