MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Social Welfare and DRK daggers

Article about: Hello Gents, here are a more of my blades. this social welfare dagger was a local vet return. and came back as is with the scabbard shown in the first pic. rectangular hanger holes. but i ha

?

Default Re: Social Welfare and DRK daggers

i agree about the scabbard. might just depend on the maker. but there is differing opinions. i can say for sure this social welfare was a vet return as is with the rectangular holes.
    Ronnie i just took a count.
    10 german swords
    11 german bayonet's
    25 daggers
    3 fighting knives
    25 other assorted blades including my japanese swords and bayonet's. not counting a civil war sword on its way to me in the mail. i have sold off a number of non german blades in the last few years.
    not a big collection compared to some folks. but i'm happy with it.
    andrew

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Social Welfare and DRK daggers
    P
    Many

Hal
    ?

Hi Andrew, and thanks for showing these. It's nice to see a vet bring back piece that helps to dispel the theory that Social Welfare scabbards should have round holes. A difficult dagger to find with both the hangers and knot still attached, and a very nice group!!! Best Regards, Hal PS; I've had two officers daggers from veterans, both without straps, so am unable to add anything to the square versus round hole theory... wish I had kept at least one...

?

Andrew - Very nice looking daggers indeed, really love the feel of the leaders daggers. In my 45 years of collecting I have never seen anything official relating the rectangular/round to one unit or the other, have only read this in post-45 dagger reference books with no regulations to back it up. I feel that it was a makers option relative to the scabbard holes and the only thing relating to the Welfare or Redcross was the different hanger colors/construction.

Heres my selection with the respective hangers on the left the Social Welfare (round holed scabbard) and on the right the red cross(rectangular hole scabbard).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Social Welfare and DRK daggers  
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

?

Hey Horst, that plaque seems a lot like one posted here, cepting your is round. Any relationship?

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/art-d...oes-say-17117/

?

Quote by drdata View Post
    Hey Horst, that plaque seems a lot like one posted here, cepting your is round. Any relationship?

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/art-d...oes-say-17117/
    Yes, I saw the one you posted in the noted forum - These profiles were very popular during both the Weimar and III Reich period and come in various sizes,left/right profile with or without decal etc - this image reflected/represented esprit de corps as well as respect for the military and individual soldier.

Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

Very interesting info, and I love the medical one also Andrew. Thanks for explaining the saw back. I wonder if they took any human limbs with the nasty looking things. Thanks for showing.

Jay

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2