Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Solingen steel vs Krupp steel

Article about: Here is a question that I have always pondered,,what is it that separates these 2 types of steel. Solingen for one is supposedly the strongest of steel made,, whereas Krupp is the toughest s

Default Solingen steel vs Krupp steel

Here is a question that I have always pondered,,what is it that separates these 2 types of steel. Solingen for one is supposedly the strongest of steel made,, whereas Krupp is the toughest steel made mainly for armaments. Hitler himself has quoted Krupps name during a Hitler youth rally, in one of his speeches describing that " The youth must be as tough as Krupp steel".
    any comments or thoughts are welcome,, documentation in discerning the 2 types are also welcome. Could of Krupp steel been used in some of these beautiful edged weapons that we so much adore? Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Solingen steel  vs  Krupp steel
    P
    Many

Default Re: Solingen steel vs Krupp steel

Larry: Actually, Krupp steel and soligen steel are not suitable for comparison since all steel is made to a different metallurgical formula for different purposes. Much of the steel Krupp produced was hardened in different ways to reduce penetration, whereas Soligen makes steel for blades, a process that requires a finished product that can be sharpened and isn't brittle. I'm not a metallurgist so I can't rattle off the many formulas needed to make steel for specific purposes. Hopefully some of our members will be able to add more specific information with regard to what elements are needed for various steels. Dwight

Dwights on the mark.Krupp steel is alloy hardened "Armour" whilst Solingen steel is I believe named after the city of production and could use one of a number of compositions and alloying elements in it's production(for application).The Solingen name is used as a reference for 'knife steel' be it carbon or 'stainless' steel types. Similar concept to Sheffield steel.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Dave

There are MANY elements that can be added to iron ( Fe ) to change it's properties.
    Manganese ( Mn ) and Boron ( B ) for toughness, Copper ( C ) for corrosion resistance, Silicon ( Si ) for strength, Sulphur ( S ) for machineability, Phosphorous, Nickel, Titanium, Chromium and on and on.
    Different alloys for different purposes as has been said above.
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Krupp was a diverse heavy industry in multiple locations that not only made steel from the raw materials, but also had the larger scale equipment to make heavy armaments like naval canon barrels, artillery pieces, etc. etc. Whereas Solingen (and its factories) were what we might now call “end users”. In that the steel that they used was most likely in the form of smaller billets, from I would imagine a number of steel makers that could be used to make knives, swords, and daggers. With some of it (in theory at least) being made to RZM specifications. With a very dedicated collector on a now non-existent forum, who had some daggers sent out for a professional (relatively non-intrusive) metallurgical analysis which yielded some surprising (to me at least) results. FP

Quote by Larry C View Post
    ................. Hitler himself has quoted Krupps name during a Hitler youth rally, in one of his speeches describing that " The youth must be as tough as Krupp steel"..................
    Some additional factors: Solingen sword makers were in business long before Krupp began its operations, and at one time were "Sword/blade makers to the world" when its export activities are taken into account. With over the years imports of iron ore one of the secrets of some of its success, and some 19th century blades from Solingen even being labeled as using a superior quality steel. And a blade is not just raw steel from a steel mill. Because it has to be made into something and there are also the different strengthening processes to be considered in addition to its physical composition, which is the responsibility of the blade maker. Likewise Krupp grew from humble beginnings, and was something of an innovator in manufacturing a commercial grade stainless steel early in the 20th century (pre - WW I). Building on its earlier success with a new type of hardened steel armor plate which earned the firm a worldwide reputation - with Hitler undoubtedly making a comparison to Krupp as an inspiration for the assembled Hitlerjugend. FP

There are currently over 3,500 different types of steel that have been developed over the years for inumerable uses, so it's a massive subject to cover. I think it's fair to say though that the 2 types Larry specifically refers to have been improved upon beyond recognition since their use in the early to mid 20th century.

An interesting fact is that if they were to build the Eiffel Tower today, they would need 66% less steel to do so, due to the improvements in strength, hardness, malleability and weight saving properties etc. that have been improved on since when it was originally constructed.

Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

If the Titanic had been built with modern steel it probably would not have had such a big gash from the iceberg in it`s hull....JMHO....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by zwerge View Post
    If the Titanic had been built with modern steel it probably would not have had such a big gash from the iceberg in it`s hull....JMHO....Pete.
    The steel in Titanics hull was enbrittled due to poor production I believe.It cracked open due to the impact and cold.
    Similar to some high carbon tool/wearplate steels,hard but brittle.Not ideal for ship's hulls.
    Cheers
    Dave

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    The steel in Titanics hull was enbrittled due to poor production I believe.It cracked open due to the impact and cold.
    Similar to some high carbon tool/wearplate steels,hard but brittle.Not ideal for ship's hulls.
    Cheers
    Dave
    Lets all hope then that Clive Palmer's TITANIC II uses non-embrittled steel!!!!!!!
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast