Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

SOS numbered (DRK) Hewer find

Article about: Nice pick up Eric. She looks a beauty.........!

?

A great pair of 'sharps!' It must have been a bit frightening for the German soldiers who knew that their Red Cross members were issued daggers with a saw blade.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SOS numbered (DRK) Hewer find
    P
    Many

Actually the blade was for dress for the drk thus the blunt end and lack of sharp blades.
    The sawback is just for looks.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

?

That is a lovely DRK hewer you got there Eric!
    As you mentioned, they are not marked freqently, so this is a nice addition.
    Beauty of it is that Weimar is still a center of the Red Cross in Germany now a days.
    Most people will know the name, cause its well known for the republic's name ( between WW1 and Hitlers regime)
    Great piece of history, and what is even so important, the medaillon where its marked on is still in good shape.
    The Luneschloss DRK's easily get haircracks in the middle of the back medaillon ( or lancet) this one survived in perfect order, despite the stamped markings.
    Thanks for showing this lovely piece

Regards,
    Ger

Thank you Ger for the kind words and info.
    I am glad to have it as it pays to look and dig and ask to open. Since most sellers just show the front.
    As you know that is just as important if not more so than the front. On anything for that matter.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Great Pick up Eric...it looks in great condition as everyone has said. Maybe a DRK belt buckle and an Armband would be next to complete a micro display. ....and you just know as was mentioned that one and only that catches your eye..is the one. Thats the best part of collecting after a long hunt Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I like the marked Hewer. I own WEIMAR 215
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SOS numbered (DRK) Hewer find  

?

That is great reference material you show here
    On both DRK Hewers they used the same marking set

Thx for showing.

Ger

?

Quote by Eric Zentner View Post
    Actually the blade was for dress for the drk thus the blunt end and lack of sharp blades.

Eric
    Hehe, I knew that, but it still looks quite menacing, especially considering that the Wehrmacht were all given letter openers.

One has to appreciate the symbolism that went into the design, reflecting the DRK's neutral, unarmed, aid-oriented role. Hence the non-weaponized, tool-like design of the hewer with its dull end and the sawback; the latter stood for its "use" for sawing off tree branches in order to make splints and makeshift stretchers. All theoretically/symbolically, since it was purely a decorative/ceremonial item, as Eric said.

I looked at 45-50 at the show
    Holy Hell!!! ......45 - 50 DRK hewers to choose from???? no wonder its called the 'Show of Shows'
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast