Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

SS and SA Daggers

Article about: SS and SA Daggers look simply beautiful to me, and they also look very capable! Even for being decoration pieces on a uniform. My question is, is there any model or similar looking dagger th

I remember seeing some pictures of Waffen SS soldiers wearing ss daggers into combat. I Also remember a couple pictures with Sovjet troops holding more than a few SS daggers(officier daggers aswel)

ill try to find them. For the pictures with the Russians they could be taken in germany(late war or even after) but the other one was a combat photograph if i recall right.

regards, Job

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS and SA Daggers
    P
    Many

Quote by Vernichtung View Post
    I remember seeing some pictures of Waffen SS soldiers wearing ss daggers into combat.
    I find that hard to believe. A propaganda shot perhaps?

The Osprey Publishing "Warrior Series" Waffen-SS Soldier 1940-45 book makes mention of the "The SS dagger was a useful combat tool as well", but I find this absurd and do not accept it. To have such a clumsy thing clanking about on his belt would be about the last thing a soldier in combat would want.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

The only thing I have heard regarding 'actual use' of these
    daggers, is the reason behind collapsed ball ends on a lot
    of scabbards. Sheathed knives were pounded on table
    tops to mark time while songs were sung in
    celebration/comradeship.

Conjecture, but a possibility - who knows..........
    Regards,

Steve.

It would be more believable what Wagriff said about SA Brawlers using these daggers in self defense or offense to the political enemy ...or just stabbing someone in a beer hall over a container of pretzels.

Yet the story about the SS dagger being USED in battle..I dont believe it at all unless it was a do or die situation. These particular daggers were within its own cult..and was a badge of honor to the SS man who owned it. I have also seen period photos of Waffen SS men that may have brandished it in a photo op, but never as a standard issue equipment attachment in the field or in battle.

Below is a photo " In wear " Posted by Peter Collector in the " Period Edged Weapon Photos " forum
    SA - Sturmabteilung

It is very obvious that 2 of the Russian soldiers are wearing their " war booty " as a trophy..something that an SA or SS man held in honor

SS and SA Daggers

Hard to judge due to the black and white photos and the distance what political daggers these may be. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

It looks like the Russian on the far right (standing) has a second one stuffed upside down into his boot. Is that the scabbard tip I see peeking in from the bottom of the photo?

Unfortunately, we have nothing written on the photo indicating where these Soviet troops found their prizes. They could just as easily have gotten them from private residences or buildings in an occupied German city.
    (the man sitting at the table second from the right also looks to have a SS or SA dagger on his belt-the hilt can be seen peeking out.)
    Last edited by Wagriff; 01-25-2016 at 05:57 PM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by dzyner View Post
    It looks like the Russian on the far right (standing) has a second one stuffed upside down into his boot. Is that the scabbard tip I see peeking in from the bottom of the photo?
    It more looks like a spoon or so...

From the period after Germany itself was invaded there are various multi-nation pictures of soldiers with their trophy German daggers attached to belts, stuck in boots etc. But I've never seen a political SA/SS dagger in combat-field use by a Waffen-SS soldier. That said, there are however a number of W/SS photos of SS soldiers carrying and using captured military issue arms and sidearms. Best Regards, Fred

Quote by Larry C View Post
    It would be more believable what Wagriff said about SA Brawlers using these daggers in self defense or offense to the political enemy ...or just stabbing someone in a beer hall over a container of pretzels. Regards Larry
    There exist official letters where for example an SS-NCO was brought to court and dismissed from the SS for using his dagger
    when he was drunk and landed into a fight.
    As a sort of punishment the men from his unit were for a period of time (about a year) not allowed to carry their dagger. They
    were kept "under lock and key" by the units Standartenführer.
    Such letters came from Heinrich H. himself (order Ch.HA/ZK./Az4 d/e/20.04.1938).

Daggers were a part for a specific uniform, according all kinds or whatever dress-regulations, and not mentioned for combat uniforms.
    Of course the one or the other disobeyed this and took his dagger to the front. But this were exceptions. Not even the HJ was allowed!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast