Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Thoughts on a hirschfanger?

Article about: Hello all! I recently purchased this hirschfanger and would like your thoughts. I was hoping it was from Imperial period, but have some concerns due to the fact that it was on ebay and from

Default Thoughts on a hirschfanger?

Hello all! I recently purchased this hirschfanger and would like your thoughts. I was hoping it was from Imperial period, but have some concerns due to the fact that it was on ebay and from Poland. I browsed ebay in the weeks before and after and saw many offerings with the exact same acid-etched scene as my example - most were also marked Weyersberg but even some with Eickhorn logos - all out of Poland as well. It seemed strange to have so many with the same acid-etching as well as multiple of the eagle variation within a month or two. One interesting thing to note is that it feels quite sturdy and well made in the hand. I don't expect it to be what I thought but would like to hear some opinions - enjoy the images!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thoughts on a hirschfanger?
    P
    Many

I suggest you attempt to return it, there in no comparison to an original TR or Imperial Hirschfanger.
    Sorry.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Very crudely constructed and lack of fineness of detail. Just look at the lack of care around the acorn at the end of the crossbar. I would suspect cast in Pakistan or India.

?

Post war construction
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

?

What an ugly post war mother*&^%$##er

Ger
    Last edited by gerrit; 07-06-2018 at 03:39 PM.

Hello FallB

a search in the upper right hand corner " advanced search " ...will produce many threads of comparison in detail of these types of Hirschfangers

https://www.warrelics.eu/google.php?...678j2678516j14

This example is crudely cast with some fantasy fittings.
    The motto combination with the hunter and his dog " Gott Mit Uns " or God with Us .....the motto was more widely seen for those fighting men on Wehrmacht Belt buckles or the like.
    I have never seen this combination on one of these knives.

I hope you did not pay more than $30 for this fantasy reproduction.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Had the premonition that it was not authentic, but was hoping it was at least made in Solingen. Thank you all for the input hopefully it can be a warning to new collectors. It seemed like a fly-by-night operation, there were a few accounts from Poland - "shop86pl" being one of them - I believe was where I got this and he told me it was from a local flea market in Poland.

They all sold such reproductions with the same acid etched scene and "Gott Mit Uns" inscription and all had crudely imprinted maker's marks - most Weyersberg like the one above but a few others as well with some variations in blade shape. It should have been apparent to me this was a bad sign but I jumped the gun, as the true worth of this would be much higher than what I paid (200 if you are curious) and some of these reproductions were up to 400 or 500.

The last thing to note was that all of these Polish sellers had great feedback and reputations on eBay but seem to come active every year and then go dormant. I don't see any listings for them currently.

I will try to return it but based on the nature of the sellers accounts I don't think it will happen. Can serve as a good reminder to me from now on! It does have a hefty weight and might make a nice convo piece...unfortunate that people take the time to reproduce EVERYTHING these days! If I ever do resell it will not be listed as authentic period.
    Last edited by Larry C; 07-07-2018 at 11:23 PM.

It's a shame to get burned but you should consider this merely an expensive lesson. Actually, a lot of people get burned way worse than this so from a collector standpoint, it's really not that bad. Buy books, attend shows whenever possible & talk to more experienced collectors who can guide you away from bad purchases.

If one had to write a sentence in order to describe that bladed item, the reader of said sentence would sum it up with one word... "Gobbledegook" It's like a parts bin monster.

I'm sorry to hear that you can't get it returned.

Good luck in the future, and as I learned early on in my collecting, posting on this forum is a sure fire way of saving expensive mistakes

Jamie

Might be able to work something out - messaging with seller (had wrong seller listed in post above, apologies to them but I can't figure out how to edit ATM). Anyways, thank you all!