Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Verlängerungsmesser Saufänger mit Lederscheide ( Extension Knife w/ Leather Sheath)

Article about: “Verlängerungsmesser Saufänger mit Lederscheide” from maker Gebrüder Gräfrath Widdert – Solingen - (Circa 1920'-1930's). These were commonly used during Imperial and Third Reich Periods by F

?

Quote by gerrit View Post
    Rossi thats a beautiful knife, unfortunate these are forbidden in the Netherlands otherwise i would surely have one.
    I love these Grafrath knives, and i do own a 1920-30ths staggrip knife by Grafrath, which i will include.
    I'm pretty sure these knives are not to make the final kill on a boar, i would not dare to face a wounded boar with a "little"knife like that.
    Im pretty sure you as a hunter wouldnt do that either LOL
    I do have a speciale designed "Hirschfänger" from the late 1800 or early 1900ths that would do the trick...its almost 74cm tall.
    I think they rather be used to make the belly cut.

Regards
    Ger

I have seen some Original ads from Puma and they did mentioned the knife as a final boar killer, wow they had balls as big as poolballs in the days..LOL

Hey Ger,

Well as a hunter it is a 7 1/2” blade which could do the trick. Getting through a boars skin and rib cage could be brutally tough. In my world of hunting most people wait for that perfect shot and if needed slit the animals throat. I am not much into their description but they called them pig stickers. Back then they hunted with 6-12 dogs which I have never experienced nor would I like. The chaos with dogs and one maybe getting killed or injured in the fight or shot by another hunter by accident would be too risky.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Verlängerungsmesser Saufänger mit Lederscheide ( Extension Knife w/ Leather Sheath)
    P
    Many

?

Quote by CBH View Post
    Thanks for posting , I have a rather battered example of this type of knife myself and have often wondered about it.
    Thank you for the detailed explanation, I'll try and get a couple photos of mine.
    Yes Chris if you have time and are inclined please post it. Would love to see it. Thanks.

A beautiful example of one that I am still looking to add to my knife collection Kirk!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    A beautiful example of one that I am still looking to add to my knife collection Kirk!
    Ralph.
    They are unique and I love the design. I mentioned I have one from Hubertus – Solingen that I have never had the need to use on big game as of yet. I will post some side by side pics of the new and old in the future. Hope Canada is balmy. Cold in MN today. Yikes! Hope Christmas was good for you and yours.

Quote by Rossi View Post
    They are unique and I love the design. I mentioned I have one from Hubertus – Solingen that I have never had the need to use on big game as of yet. I will post some side by side pics of the new and old in the future. Hope Canada is balmy. Cold in MN today. Yikes! Hope Christmas was good for you and yours.
    Thanks Kirk!
    I think you will find very little difference in them.

It was -30 deg. C here this morning, no riding the bike today.
    Hope you had a wonderful Christmas as well!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Thanks Kirk!
    I think you will find very little difference in them.

It was -30 deg. C here this morning, no riding the bike today.
    Hope you had a wonderful Christmas as well!
    Ralph.
    Yep. Only difference is scabbard and about 85-95 years and makers. Maybe a little less history.

Stay warm!

CBH
    ?

Mine is a civilian export example , marked Made in Germany , Pal"BRAND , No 7504, I would think inter-war years.
    Misses out on an example like yours 30 years ago, because it was explained to me as a Paratrooper knife, which I knew it wasn't.
    Wish I had bought it now.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Verlängerungsmesser Saufänger mit Lederscheide ( Extension Knife w/ Leather Sheath)   Verlängerungsmesser Saufänger mit Lederscheide ( Extension Knife w/ Leather Sheath)  

Verlängerungsmesser Saufänger mit Lederscheide ( Extension Knife w/ Leather Sheath)  

Makes one wonder how many of these were carried by the varied branches of the Third Reich. Although not a regulation knife to carry..but surely they were and were used in certain conflicts and circumstances. Scary looking but effective just by the sight of seeing one.

Great knives thanks for showing Gents

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2