Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Which would you pic?

Article about: Hello, I have the option of buying one of the following fireman dress bayonets. I was wondering which I should choose? The obvious difference is the lengths, and the Eikhorn logos on the ric

Default Which would you pic?

Hello,
    I have the option of buying one of the following fireman dress bayonets. I was wondering which I should choose? The obvious difference is the lengths, and the Eikhorn logos on the ricasso, of the blades. I like the idea of the earlier versions on most things. Is there a difference in the logos? Is one earlier, or pre war, late war, etc.? Is it better to choose longer versus shorter, in terms of worth? Age? Etc.? Just curious, they are priced the same, thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Which would you pic?   Which would you pic?  

Which would you pic?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Which would you pic?
    P
    Many

?

If the maker marks on these bayonets were used for the same time frame as they were on navy daggers then the earlier one is the 33-35 double oval and the other one is 35-41.

Best Tomaz.

The age of the knives ( "Faschinenmesser"if we want to get technical, as they are not bayonets) is close. The Eickhorn mark in oval is 1934/35. In 1933 it would have had a "CE" underneath. The other with squirrel holding sword has the tail without a coil, that appeared also later in 1935. From 1936-41 the tail is without a coil.
    As to which is the better buy it really depends on what's missing in your collection. The short Fire faschinenmesser are possibly a little less common, but the long blade is more in keeping with the original idea of a short heavy sword that's really a tool. My advice buy both! Frogs are dress type as well. Cheers! A.

I would get them both....its not often an opportunity arises when you have a long and short of the same type bayonet. Firemans short bayos are not easy to find IMO. Would make for a nice display.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I just asked, think you're right, I'm gonna try and get both, thanks.

Get both if priced right but not if they're more than $125-$150. These items are out there both on dealers sites & always on Eban. If it's a question of one over the other, I would take the '33-'34 double oval. The early Eicks were very well made, certainly better than their later counterparts.

Quote by Billy G View Post
    Get both if priced right but not if they're more than $125-$150. These items are out there both on dealers sites & always on Eban. If it's a question of one over the other, I would take the '33-'34 double oval. The early Eicks were very well made, certainly better than their later counterparts.
    You're right on the money, that's exactly what they're choosing me, they should be dropped off later today. Thanks everyone for your input.