Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

? WW1 or WW2 German trench knife?

Article about: Not sure if this is a WW1 or WW2 trench or boot knife. The maker is Gottlier Hammesfarh Solingen Foche and the other side has what looks like a D over a small crown. There are no other marki

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hammesfahr used a myriad of logo types and curious would the one posted be one of the many ?
    I don't think so...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ? WW1 or WW2 German trench knife?
    P
    Many

This is a fake Gottieb Hammesfahr trench knife, obvious from the first photo as the blade edge IS ON THE WRONG SIDE of the blade. Scabbard hanger also is wrong. Post 1960's produced most likely. Below is a couple of photos of a real one.

There is a detailed thread on sticky in Imperial German forum ; "FAKE ALERT; WW1 Gottieb Hammesfahr trench knife"

? WW1 or WW2 German trench knife?? WW1 or WW2 German trench knife?? WW1 or WW2 German trench knife?

thank you Anderson, thats quiet clear

Dave

I agree with all of that Phil, its not actually mine but as I have been asked to 'get rid' of a collection of 594 bayonets and knives - some very nice, some rubbish, its been a steep learning curve as you may have noticed from some of my earlier posts. But I must still be a quick learner, the internet in general and specifically advice from this site has been most useful

many thanks, Dave

Your welcome Dave, it's true the internet has really exposed the fake stuff such as this knife which for decades people have been fooled by. Now the market for these fakes is shrinking fast as collectors know what to watch out for. The crooked sellers are finding it harder to move their bad stock these days.

some of the repro items the late owner had were very obviously fake and he may well have bought them knowing this. This item, although fake, is actually quite a quality item in its own right had it been sold as a hunting knife or some such thing. In the same way, by removing the grips of a Mk1 first pattern No.5 bayonet exposed the fact that an extra hole had been drilled and new single bolt grips added to a normal No.5, that was very convincing too!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2