Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

1938 Ssh-36

Article about: Hi all- I just want your opinions on this (what seems to be) 1938 dated SSh-36 helmet. The seller offered me a \\$100 discount (\\$300 USD) since this helmet hasn’t sold in the couple months it’

Default 1938 Ssh-36

Hi all- I just want your opinions on this (what seems to be) 1938 dated SSh-36 helmet. The seller offered me a $100 discount ($300 USD) since this helmet hasn’t sold in the couple months it’s been up. Personally everything looks good to me, but what are your thoughts on the front decal? The seller said it was found in the Dnieper river near Kiev, and I wouldn’t think the decal would still be on the helmet after being under water all those years. Is it just an imprint/“shadow” of the decal (if that makes any sense)? I’d also just like your opinion on the helmet as a whole.

Regards

1938 Ssh-361938 Ssh-361938 Ssh-361938 Ssh-361938 Ssh-361938 Ssh-361938 Ssh-361938 Ssh-36
    Last edited by PapaStalin1943; 10-21-2019 at 08:54 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1938 Ssh-36
    P
    Many

PS43, I strongly share your doubts about "shadow" decals, and also your doubts about it being in a river for the last 75 years. From the rust marks on the inside, it appears to have simply held standing water for some time, and some spots look like really heavy rust (just above the back of the liner band on the photo of the inside). Having said that, what you're asking is should you pay $300 for this particular Ssh36 shell. My opinion is no. Kevin

Hi- thanks for your response. The main reason I was interested in this helmet, was because it has the remnants of a decal, and also because it is dated, which is kind of hard to find in an ssh36 for cheap (less than $500).

With Ssh36s date stamps are nice but I don't worry too much about them because they were all made from '36 to '41. You're right that these are expensive. If I didn't have one, I'd probably pay $200 for it, so $300 is not astronomically high, it's just higher than I would pay. It looks pretty cool, and it would display well. It looks like it's stamped Size 1 if that matters to you, the Size 1 helmets surprise me at their smallness every time I see one, although I have an enormous head so I'm biased. I'm curious to know what you finally decide, let us know if you decide to pull the trigger. Kevin

?

I can't help with any info or thoughts about what you are looking to find out, But I have to say that this pattern is my favorite of the Russian helmets.
    I just think the design is very appealing to the eys's of a helmet collector. Yes they are expensive and my wish is in the Bucket list!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Hi- thanks for the responses. Pupapup, I will definitely let you guys know what I decide.

Phil- I agree with you 100%. These are my favorite type of helmets, due to how they look. To get an SSh-36 is also on my “dream list” of items to get (don’t own one yet), along with a Soviet WWII tanker helmet and eventually a HSU medal

?

So what is the purpose of the comb on top? Are there air vent holes under it?

Semper Fi
    Phil

I am not experienced with these helmets (also on my wishlist haha) but this seller has been discussed before. Even though these helmets are expensive I still would pay a bit more for a guaranteed good one including liner than this relic (no way this was found in a river, the Dniepr also has a stronger current if I am correct). Looking at the oxidation it looks like it held some 3-4 cm of water, only on the inside. So sorry but that riverfound story is nonsense imo.

Looks more like the ones that get dug from bogs where there's minimal oxygen.

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    So what is the purpose of the comb on top? Are there air vent holes under it?
    Phil
    Yes, the comb on top covers a hole in the top of the helmet, that lets fresh air in (so yes an air vent).