Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1941 Pilotka

Article about: Hello everyone, just got this 41 dated Pilotka and looking for any comments on it. It looks brown in the photographs but its dark greenish brown in reality. Many thanks, Doug

Default 1941 Pilotka

Hello everyone, just got this 41 dated Pilotka and looking for any comments on it. It looks brown in the photographs but its dark greenish brown in reality. Many thanks, Doug
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1941 Pilotka   1941 Pilotka  

1941 Pilotka   1941 Pilotka  

1941 Pilotka   1941 Pilotka  

1941 Pilotka  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1941 Pilotka
    P
    Many

I would be very grateful for any comments on this cap. Does anyone think its authentic?

it is 100% authentic. Wool cap for officer in, manufacturing factory Samoylova 1941.
    The marking indicates:
    1 - Б БРАКЕР (No. controller-auditor) or Б - БРАКОВЩИК - XIII
    2 - Р РАЗМЕР ----- size - 57
    3 - С СОРТ (1,2,3) ---------- quality 1
    4 - г ГОД (year of manufacture) - 1941

Thanks very much for the great information. So its an officers cap?

The pilotka is woolen for the commisionned personel and cotton for the enlisted men.
    Pictures of mine :
    1941 Pilotka1941 Pilotka1941 Pilotka1941 Pilotka1941 Pilotka

Dear Philippe, thanks very much for your help and showing the picture of your cap, which is clearly very similar to mine (yours is in better condition).

I am very interested to hear that this is an officers cap and that there is a difference in materials between the officers and enlisted mans cap. It is interesting to note that there are differences of opinion on this point, for example Laszlo Bekesi writing in 'Stalins War, Soviet Uniforms and Militaria 1941-45' shows a picture of a brown woolen pilotka on p.38 which has describes as the winter weight pilotka introduced in 1941, and made from heavy woolen cloth. He states that they were for enlisted men, and that the officers version had piping. Philippe Rio writing in 'The Soviet soldier' appears to agree, stating that '1941 saw the appearence of brown woolen side caps' and that 'The officers version had piping'. Both books make the point that officers often wore enlisted mens caps. Of course, I fully understand that books can be wrong and I will be very grateful for any further information you can give. Many thanks.

Here are some additional information. On 1 February 1941, the front star fabric trimmed caps is abolished by the order No. 005.
    With the entry into the war of the Soviet Union, the new guidelines are given for making uniforms, headgear, .....
    Indeed, on 1 August 1941, Order No. 253 decrees that officers will now have a wool cap, without piping. The order also establishes the collar tabs, rank insignia, buttons, khaki color and the abolition of sleeves grades by measuring camouflage.
    The company retains the cotton models but with khaki colored star.
    The cap is no exception to this rule since a new specification is established in 1941, and manufacturing rules will be permanently established in August 1942.
    Manufacturing directives of 4 August 1942 state that the cap retains its shape and khaki color, but under the new guidelines and because of the scarcity of certain materials, 5 types of fabric are accepted, according to wartime manufacturing
    For the outer part and the cotton wool. For the linen inside part, cotton, untreated wool ecru and dyed wool khaki, brown, black.
    The moleskin in sweat band can be gray, brown, slate blue but many caps will be produced without it.
    The officers now assigned a wool cap, the company retaining the cotton model.
    The officer model continues to be built in parts, the two side flaps are lined with a fabric different from the material and color. One can find wool, cotton.
    The sweat band disappears, except for wool models to the officers.
    Philippe

Hi Phillipe, this is indeed superb information and I am very grateful for you sharing it with me. I have put this cap on the WAF forum and mostly been told that it is a fake, but it is very clear that I should trust your expertise rather than these opinions, and I have learned much more about my cap. Thank you.

With pleasure.

Dom
    ?

Interesting thread, someone can show another Samoilova example with this inner lining ?

1941 Pilotka

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast