Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Damage Strange Budenovka

Article about: Hello everyone, a few weeks ago I purchased this strange looking Budenovka, in quite bad condition. The seller told me this Budenovka belonged to one of his friend's father and that this was

?

Default Damage Strange Budenovka

Hello everyone, a few weeks ago I purchased this strange looking Budenovka, in quite bad condition. The seller told me this Budenovka belonged to one of his friend's father and that this was his Budenovka dating back during the Civil War. Honestly the hat looked quite strange and there is no trace of a star being sewn on it and the liner, as much as it looks like it does have traces of wear, looks strange as well. I don't however see, any reason not to believe him given that the price that I paid for it wasn't high at all. What do you guys think, could it actually be from the Civil War?

Damage Strange Budenovka
    Damage Strange Budenovka
    Damage Strange Budenovka

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Damage Strange Budenovka
    P
    Many

?

Looks pretty good to me.
    It actually pre-dates the Budenovka, being the 1919 pattern.
    Very nice indeed!
    Bob

?

It looks fascinating to me. Raul

Looks original to me. Despite the expected wear, it's really nice!

?

Thanks a lot for your comments, I was also thinking that it could have been the pre1919 model due to the lack of a star. I was pretty lucky to get such a find then!

?

I have a nice example of the 1919, but not as nice as yours!
    Mine is in very good condition without any known history...

Incidentally, it does have a large cloth star fitted (Infantry). If I can dig it out, I shall add a picture.

Very well done!
    Cheers,
    Bob

?

Right, finally got round to it and found my 1919 Bogatyrka (replaced by the Budenovka in 1922). This has a more ‘cosmetic’ (though still functional) curtain, with additional piping, and at one time had a metal star fitted through the cloth backing. The maker’s mark is too obscured to make out, but the date is still quite clear. The lining cloth has an interesting style to the reinforcing stitching.

This is clearly a far ‘dressier’ version than yours, Poteto, but I think yours wins hands-down for history and character! Have you got any history of the original owner (name, rank, unit, &c.)?

Cracking find!
    Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Damage Strange Budenovka   Damage Strange Budenovka  

Damage Strange Budenovka   Damage Strange Budenovka  

?

That's quite an interesting and hard to find piece! I've seen a few of these bogatyrkas but never with the stamp marking still present.
    As previously mentioned, the seller told me this belonged to the father of a friend of his who was living in village not far from Moscow, the man decided to sell this hat because he didn't know what to do with it and didn't want it to keep deteriorating. He didn't say much apart from that unfortunately but he did say that this was from the Civil War. The hat in itself does have traces of some "restoration" since one of the buttons was changed as well as one of the leather "straps" but given the overall condition I would say that these were made at the time or a bit later.
    I'm very glad I stumbled upon it to be quite honest. Thanks for your insight!

?

Btw, this hat looks a lot like a one that I have previously seen and posted on the forum to no answer, could you tell me what you think of it, I'm not sure it is 100% authentic but I'm not sure it isn't either... Budenovka

?

That is, indeed, an interesting one Poteto...
    and not an easy call.

It is very nicely made, though I have a couple of concerns regarding detail (but I do have a theory about it).
    Firstly, the fabric appears to be standard, lightweight cotton, as used for gymnastyorka and sharovarii - a material not typically associated with winter a weight garment - these caps generally being of a heavier wool cloth. It appears to be of the later, 1930s to post-war weave, rather than the more ‘canvasy’ Great War cloth types.

Secondly, the star (apparently of correct early proportions), is quite crudely applied. This in itself is not an impossibility, however, as it may well have been fitted by the soldier upon issue or transfer. The Artillery adopted red as their arm-of-service colour on 3rd April 1920; prior to which, it was orange.

To return to my earlier theory, the post-war Soviet Army frequently had large (sometimes vast) quantities of ‘replica’ uniform items manufactured, by official state uniform factories, for use in 1st May and various anniversary parades through Red Square, for example, or use in the enormous state sponsored film industry (I believe, up to 1 in 3 films made until the 1970s was a war film of some description - extras being supplied by the army).

I cannot, of course, be entirely sure of this, but either way it’s an interesting piece!
    Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast