Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Early leather liner SSch36 helmet

Article about: Hi Guys, the early leather liner was not a great sucess and very few seem to have survived. As you can see the leather has a sandwich of wool padding. The leather is quite thin. This was rep

Default Re: Early leather liner SSch36 helmet

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Gus, thanks! We call this part the "drawstring".

Cheers, Ade.
    Ade,

Thanks for finding the word, I was having trouble naming it. I hope I did not confuse you with my poor description. My english has a lot of deficiencies.

Regarding your link, I have read the web page in spanish, and it says that those liners SEEM to have been SCW restorations. But it also says that they also frecuently lack the original russian ventilation system. I suppose it refers to the hole in the top to allow ventilation. Do you have other Sch-36 helmets so you can compare that system with the one in this particular helmet?

Regards,

Gus

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early leather liner SSch36 helmet
    P
    Many

Hi Gus, your English is 100% better than my Spanish I know about 3 words

By the "ventilation system" he means the corrugated steel band seen in between the helmet shell and the canvas liner in most SSch36 helmets. This would allow some air to circulate between the liner and the shell.

Cheers, Ade.

OK guys... after a length hiatus I am back to participate as much as my life allows at this time.

Ade, I think Dimas may have meant that this is a postwar Spanish liner?? Regardless, I do not think that liner is a Spanish Civil War era liner. The one Clawson shows is the readily accepted example of such.

The liner in the Ssh-36 could probably be quickly ID'd by some one who collects helmets of the world. It does appear to have Adrian lineage, but with 8 tongues instead of six. It is derivatives of that helmet I would look into. Nice comfortible liner for the living historian though!

Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for the input.

Do you think the liner shown in Clawson's book is actually Russian?

I am at a bit of a loss now what to think?

Cheers, Ade.

?

I would say I've never saw that kind of leather liners on the soviet helmets. There only some Leningrad re-issues with ugly and not in good quality made liners and chinstraps. The chinstrap and materials, methodics is not a soviet, but as I can understand, there not a big quantity of the helmets was sent to Spain during Civil war ( probably 10000-20000) If so, the liner which was adopted to that helmet in the period of ww2 is extrimelly rare and must be more valuable than any of standard soviet helmets. I know that in the Clawson book a lot of material that is wrong. Due of that - it's not easy write book without the good source....
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Present wisdom is that these cheap liners were of Russian origin, but used for export to the Communist in Spain. I cannot confirm this, but it is simply the present wisdom of the greater helmet collecting community. Personally, this aspect of the Ssh-36 isn't really my sphere of interest so I have never investigated it for myself. As for the liner in the helmet shown, I can't really say for sure but it looks refitted to me.

Dimas is correct that there is a fair amount of inaccurate and incomplete information in Clawson's book. However I cannot be too critical of it as you have to start somewhere. Until someone else with a more complete picture offeres us something else, it is all we have. I think most of us desire a book that focuses on helmets from the 1935-1945 period. The Clawson book is a much more general work really.

Dr. Clawson is a gracious and humble man. If anyone has information for him contact him through the web page that he has set up to provide new, and better information than provided in the published book. We can all benifit from that.

Hi Guys, thanks for all the help and advice on this one. I am going to have a think if I keep it or not?

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Guys, thanks for all the help and advice on this one. I am going to have a think if I keep it or not?

Cheers, Ade.
    Ade,

I know a pretty serious collector of Spanish Civil War militaria. He knows a lot about almost every helmet that fought in Spain, and has an impressive collection of Ssh-36 "spanish" lids. Unfortunately, he is a bit old and does not have an internet connection, nor wishes to have one.

I will print the photo of the liner and will try see him as soon as I can to see if he can identify it as a spanish reburbished helmet or not. Maybe we can get some new info.

Regards,

Gus

Thanks Gus, that is very kind of you.

Cheers, Ade.

I had the opportunity some years back to take a few images of a friend's example with an original leather liner.

I know little to nothing about these helmets, but I gladly provide the following images that I took with the intent of using them as future reference...

I hope that they are of service...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early leather liner SSch36 helmet   Early leather liner SSch36 helmet  

Early leather liner SSch36 helmet   Early leather liner SSch36 helmet  

Early leather liner SSch36 helmet   Early leather liner SSch36 helmet  

Early leather liner SSch36 helmet  
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast