Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Help with Soviet Helmet

Article about: thats a cold war classic! plus it's shell size 3 [large] I prefer the biggest shell sizes if I can find them

Default Re: Help with Soviet Helmet

thats a cold war classic! plus it's shell size 3 [large] I prefer the biggest shell sizes if I can find them

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with Soviet Helmet
    P
    Many

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Sounds great, can't wait to see it!
    Here it is Giz...our Ssch40, less than 24 hours out of the box and still suffering jet lag. If I did my homework correct, the spider stamp was only used from 1948 thru 1950 making this a post war dated 1948 or 1949 helmet. Also, still assuming I did my homework correct, these Ssch40s were identical to the war period helmets.

Help with Soviet Helmet

Help with Soviet Helmet

Help with Soviet Helmet

Russ
    Last edited by MySonsDad; 02-16-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Hi Russ, full marks on your homework. Go to the top of the class

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Russ, full marks on your homework. Go to the top of the class

Cheers, Ade.
    You poke around in these forums long enough, you can't help but learn something....

Looks great, Russ!

So I'm still not clear on this... were our helmets made during the war and then reconditioned post-war?

or were they made post war and resemble WWII vintage helmets in every way?

Giz, the Ssch40 was a war time production helmet and the way I understand it, remained in production post war, such as my example. I also belive that there was 1 or 2 post war variations. Many war time were referbished also, but don't quote me on any of this, I coudn't spell Ssch40 3 weeks ago...... Seems to be a bit of a science to reading and understanding all the variations of ink stamps, I have not graduated that class yet! Tons of great info posted in the soviet hemet section however, made for a couple nights of great reading.

?

Many of the 1948 lids being "back dated" to 1943, because the ink is relatively easy to remove. They make the digit 8 look like 3. I don't think there is a lot of difference in the helmets made right after the war, other than the stamp, and the fact they were made post war. Helmets with this stamp is actually more rare than the WW2 models. As said earlier they were produced in the late 40's and 1950. Helmets with this stamp is also claimed to be seen from maybe 1946. I'm sitting and looking at one from 1947г, so they are not exclusively 1949-50 produced.

Bottom line is they are more rare than WW2 models, as i understand it. I know Dom has a lot of knowledge about this, and his cryptic answers made me dig further into the complicated world of the Soviet Stalnoy Schlyem.

Datrus, that's more great information for me to add to my data base. Although I have read that the spider stamp dates betwe 1948-1950, you can't dispute an actual example. I will expand my notes to reflect this. THanks, Russ

?

My pleasure MSD

Dom
    ?

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    Datrus, that's more great information for me to add to my data base. Although I have read that the spider stamp dates betwe 1948-1950, you can't dispute an actual example. I will expand my notes to reflect this. THanks, Russ
    LMZ dated 1947 :
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Soviet Helmet   Help with Soviet Helmet  

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast