Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My two original SSH-39 helmets size 2 one Luftschutz one normal

Article about: Hello experts here were my new jewels in the Crown of my Collection my 2 SSH-39 The one is made from LMZ in 1941 with interior 36 and the rare green chinstrap ist in very good condition I go

1) Dom is right about these two helmets. He doesn’t need me to support him on this, but thought I would add my support anyway.
    2) Dom, your expertise is always appreciated, please keep providing your input and knowledge on this forum, it’s always helpful.
    3) Dealers are just like anyone else, some are honest and some are not. Even if they mean to be honest, they’re not always right.
    Kevin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My two original SSH-39 helmets size 2 one Luftschutz one normal
    P
    Many

Looks like the LMZ stamps have been applied over the rust to me, poor quality photo though.

What was the helmet that was used to fake this M39 LMZ?

I would like to learn from the existing knowledge in this forum, especially Dom's.

Cheers,
    Emile

Hi
    My father said me after I shown him this posts that the millitaria trader gave him 100% garantie for originality on this helmet
    Greetings

Quote by Bavarian View Post
    Hi
    My father said me after I shown him this posts that the millitaria trader gave him 100% garantie for originality on this helmet
    Greetings
    I know it is not easy to be told that an item you are pleased with is not original. Believe me all of us have had such disappointments and some of us have had quite a few!

However, you asked for opinions and several well qualified collectors have told you that this helmet is not original. Now, your choice, and it is your choice, is that either; you accept the bad news and do something about it or you continue to insist "the dealer said it is good" and be happy in that belief.

I know what my choice would be as a collector of over 40 years. Every one of us has a "box of shame" where we keep our mistakes to remind us of the hazards of the hobby.
    It does not matter how many times you repeat the dealers promise, it will never be true.

If the dealer is honest and you show him this thread he will accept his error and take the helmet back for a refund. Even the best dealer can make mistakes, it is how they deal with them that makes them good dealers.
    If he is not reputable and will not take it back I'm afraid you will have to accept that too. "Sh*t happens" as the saying goes. But, if that is the case please feel free to advise the membership of this dealer for future consideration.

This one is even more difficult for you as it was a birthday gift so you might just want to keep it as such and treat it as a "display piece". I still have several badges that were bought as gifts for me by well meaning family which I knew as soon as I saw them that they were utter rubbish. I accepted them gratefully, said nothing and as I say I still have them 20 years later.

Really this is all about you knowing what you have and learning from the experience as you advance in the hobby.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 02-09-2019 at 03:30 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Bavarian View Post
    Hi
    Greetings
    If the dealer sold it as 100% original he should be happy to refund you.

Quote by Dom View Post
    I am a collector not a merchant ! I give you my opinion and it is completely free (my little experience in the mine field of Soviet militaria has required hours, days, months, years of research).

Since some time I think that the mentality has changed, for this reason I do not participate anymore on the forums and it is not near to arrange ...
    I too value your knowledge Dom. You have a "gift" for understanding what you have learned. Many collect & don't study & know little. Your advice & opinion is much needed here
    David

With age comes wisdom - hopefully.

Fully Agree with Dom. The second ( non Luftschutz ) helmet is 'fake' ( meanit the paint, liner and markinsg are postwar made and not wartime original ). See many similar fakes sold as original on eBay.
    If you would ever see the real markings ( the way they look ) you would immedietaly know that, but I guess you didn't had sovite M39 helmet with well visible markings at all, since you still saying that the green ( non luftschutz ) helmet is real.

First and most important thing in this hobby; learn , learn and learn and finaly do not trust any dealer but to your own knowledge only.

Hello

Interesting subject, but to start from the begining, maybe Bavarian could let us know the difference he finds between his two helmets.

That would be a very good begining and a good way to learn.

That said, I understand it looks obvious for Dom, that is quite used to them, but also that it is not so easy for less Advanced colectors

Bruno
    Last edited by bourguignotte; 02-28-2019 at 10:59 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2