Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Mystery Ushanka--please help identify

Article about: Hi, I am new to the forum and recently purchased this beautiful ushanka from a dealer. I bought it very cheaply, as it was sold to me as Bulgarian. I am a re-enactor, not a collector, and I

?

Default Mystery Ushanka--please help identify

Hi, I am new to the forum and recently purchased this beautiful ushanka from a dealer. I bought it very cheaply, as it was sold to me as Bulgarian. I am a re-enactor, not a collector, and I use Bulgarian ushankas because they're inexpensive and plentiful and they look good from a reasonable distance. Well I got it home and lo! it doesn't resemble my other Bulgarian ushankas except superficially. What it does resemble is Russian GPW wartime ushankas that I see in the forum. The condition is near-pristine, so I doubt it is GPW, so my question is; what is it? Russian? Postwar? A high-quality reproduction? The star is just one that I stuck on. Thanks for any info.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mystery Ushanka--please help identify   Mystery Ushanka--please help identify  

Mystery Ushanka--please help identify   Mystery Ushanka--please help identify  

Mystery Ushanka--please help identify   Mystery Ushanka--please help identify  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mystery Ushanka--please help identify
    P
    Many

Looks kind of period correct and it has the right inner sewing pattern. Hard to say either way without stamp though.
    Last edited by Mosin1942; 11-29-2016 at 03:59 PM.

?

I have looked and cannot find a stamp. Thanks for your opinion. Any others?

For me it is not soviet, the form is different. The Soviet models do not have this cutout. (I circle en route on the picture)

?

Thank you for your info, I really appreciate it!

Hey, I meant to reply sooner but some things got in the way.
    Anyways, it does have several Soviet features such as the inner sewing pattern, the inner crown is hemmed also which is an early soviet feature. What is the outer body material ? Wool or cotton?

The fact that it was sold as Bulgarian leads me to lean towards that route. The Bulgarians made theirs closest to the Soviets than any one. The average Bulgarian ushanka that most reenactors use are the most common Bulgarian variant but they have a different inner pattern than a wartime one as we know.

The Bulgarians also made variations that were closer in sewing pattern to a wartime Soviet made hat. I will attach photos of a Bulgarian ushanka I used to own that was similar. While mine had the same wartime Soviet pattern on the crown, it also had 2 extra lines sewn across.

So in my opinion its either -

1. Communist Bulgarian (Most Likely)
    2. Vintage Soviet - Military or Civilian made
    3. Reproduction WW2 ushanka (unlikely given its appearance)

Over all it looks vintage and for what it is - its a beautiful ushanka with a great ww2 style appearance, I'd love to have one like that in my collection.

Bulgarian Ushanka with Soviet wartime inner sewing pattern-Mystery Ushanka--please help identify