Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

NKVD visor, original or repro?

Article about: I'm posting this visor for someone who isn't a member of this forum and wants to have it reviewed. I don't own the cap. There are some questions about the originality: some people say it's a

Default NKVD visor, original or repro?

I'm posting this visor for someone who isn't a member of this forum and wants to have it reviewed. I don't own the cap.
    There are some questions about the originality: some people say it's a complete repro, other say it's an original cap.

I see that there are some things that are very suspicious with this cap, but I'm very curious what the experts can tell about it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NKVD visor, original or repro?   NKVD visor, original or repro?  

NKVD visor, original or repro?   NKVD visor, original or repro?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NKVD visor, original or repro?
    P
    Many

The new-looking sweatband and the "sanded-down" edge of the visor are unpleasant to me. As well as the visor's attachment - the stitching. All three are classic characteristics of "fakeness".

The "headstain" in the liner seems to have been fabricated in recent years. The stamp is suspect also. To me, it's a modern day facsimile of an original.

The star is authentic - and the rest of the piece just may be also, sans the visor and sweatband. And that's about it as far as I'm concerned.

The Russian collectors would probably label this as "Novadel" - newly made from old parts, if I recall my Russian slang correctly.

It's been a while. Shame on me.

In any case, I'm no expert, but I would pass on it at any price if it were offered to me as an authentic 1930s/WWII example.

Cheers,
    Richie
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Hi Richie,
    Many thanks for your observations! I think you are right. The cap has definitely more 'cons' than 'pros'. Too bad that it can fool a collector.
    Regarding your Russian slang, I guess it would probably indeed be labelled as 'новодел' by the Russian collectors. Best regards.