Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions on a SSh-40

Article about: also i believe the war time examples have a white canvas chinstrap and brown are post war

Default Opinions on a SSh-40

Hello,

Sorry for this kind of thread, but this helmets authenticity is kind of hard to evaluate. This helmet was among war time items, but it doesn't seem to have a stamp except a weird "44" inscription that I've never seen before. This raises questions for me, could it be simply written there to make the helmet seem wartime? The condition seems like it has been sitting in an attic and the paint job isn't dark green, which was common in postwar reworks.

EDIT: Upon reading my older conversation with the seller, the wartime items are allegedly from a cartographer who walked a lot in wilderness during the 50's and 60's. I think that the condition matches items that also have been found in the battlefields during the 50's. He is only asking for 80 euros for this one, so I am really tempted.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions on a SSh-40   Opinions on a SSh-40  

Opinions on a SSh-40   Opinions on a SSh-40  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions on a SSh-40
    P
    Many

It looks to have a stitched (rather than rivetted) chinstrap which is a feature of 1950's production. 80 Euros is way too much. I have an almost identical helmet dated 1954 and bought on ebay recently for £30.

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    It looks to have a stitched (rather than rivetted) chinstrap which is a feature of 1950's production. 80 Euros is way too much. I have an almost identical helmet dated 1954 and bought on ebay recently for £30.
    I've never heard the stitching thing before. If it indeed is postwar, I'd never pay 80 euros for one.

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    I decided that I'm passing on this helmet. Thanks for the help Douglas!

Dom
    ?

Douglas is right , made in 54/60 .

Quote by Dom View Post
    Douglas is right , made in 54/60 .
    Thanks Dom! This seller is going to my unwanted list, I'm sure he knew that this was from an another source.

Dom
    ?

With patience one day you find

I have never seen a post 1952 Helmet in such a bad way,as Doug said you can pick these up un-issued on ebay for £20-£40.......the lengths people will go too...............

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    I have never seen a post 1952 Helmet in such a bad way,as Doug said you can pick these up un-issued on ebay for £20-£40.......the lengths people will go too...............
    Yes, postwar helmets are extremely cheap and I think that you could get one here for even cheaper. I have no desire to collect them.

- - ------- - -

Quote by Dom View Post
    With patience one day you find
    Thanks Dom! Only wartime helmet that I have with a liner included is an SSh-39 blockade version.

Post 1954!....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast