Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

russian mig fighter helmet

Article about: Got this really dirt cheap (\\$32)and was wondering if it is Russian or China, it has a km-32 oxygen mask so I was leaning towards Russia, what's your guys thoughts

Default russian mig fighter helmet

Got this really dirt cheap ($32)and was wondering if it is Russian or China, it has a km-32 oxygen mask so I was leaning towards Russia, what's your guys thoughts

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement russian mig fighter helmet
    P
    Many

The oxygen mask is Russian and i reckon the rest of the rig is too, brilliant for $32!....

Thanks Gunny who says you can't find bargains on eBay lol, this was just one of 3 big steals I got in the past 24 hrs, others was a French mle-65 tanker helmet complete with radio headset $27 and a us navy sph-4 helicopter helmet $30(missing some parts)

very nice pickups i would agree with paul and say soviet ,the helmet has similarities to the soviet tanker helmet especially the shammy leather material for the ear cups and brow areas ,the french tankie is a real good buy as they dont generally come complete with mic and headset attachments on the surplus market so this one is quite desirable i also like the US bone dome ,has it been deliberately coated in strips of reflec sticky tape and is this a common practise ? well done sir and thanks for sharing your nice and varied purchases ,cheers james

Very nice helmets and thanks for showing

Matt

Thanks guys, the tanker helmet is nice I got it in couple of days ago and seller included goggles to go with it which I post pics below, now the seller of the mig helmet is telling me the goggles don't come with it because they are not period to the helmet and I told him I want the goggles because that's what is pictured with the item so he hasn't reply to the 2 emails I sent him so that's up in the air at the moment but anyways here's the tanker helmet

thats a real pity the seller is back tracking if he never stated in the listing the goggles mask and helmet should all be sent out so i hope you get some response soon ,perhaps its because its the weekend ,the french tankie looks great

Hello Chevyfan, apologies for a late reply regarding the KM-32/leather helmet combination.

It's a bit hard to tell from the photos - there's not much helmet showing, but I'd be fairly sure it's Russian and not Chinese.

The most obvious difference is that one has a tag in Chinese and the other has one written in Russian. But helmets of that vintage with a bit of useage often have the ink worn off the tag or it's completely missing.

The other major difference is that most Chinese helmets are brown leather with chrome strap buttons that have a star embossed on them. The Russian helmets are black with black buttons.
    The Chinese helmets also have an older style rubber earcup moulding than the Russian ones.

Looking at the press studs on your occipital bladder and the bladder pouch, it looks Russian. The Chinese and Soviet helmets have the occipital bladder press studs the opposite way around (from a male/female aspect, the way they clip together).

If your helmet has the top mask attachment strap running underneath the crown pad, it's designation is ShL-61. That would date it anywhere between 1961 and around 1979-80.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Willie.

Quote by James C View Post
    i also like the US bone dome ,has it been deliberately coated in strips of reflec sticky tape and is this a common practise ?
    James, taping helmets is quite standard practice for U.S. Naval or Marine aviators, or anyone else flying over water for that matter. It's mainly to assist pickup in the event of ditching, but provides a level of visibility on the flight deck as well. I guess the Coast Guard would probably use reflective taping also.

Cheers, Willie.

thanks willy for taking the time to explain ,it makes perfect sense regards james

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast