Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Size 4 ssh39?

Article about: Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. I've been searching all the posts and they're great, I can't believe I've been collecting all these years and just now found this place. I've had a ques

Default Size 4 ssh39?

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. I've been searching all the posts and they're great, I can't believe I've been collecting all these years and just now found this place.

I've had a question for a long time I'm hoping you can answer. In Robert Clawson's excellent book on Russian helmets, he states that ssh39s came in 4 sizes, 1-4. My question is, has anyone every seen a size 4 ssh39? I've seen a couple ssh36s, but no ssh39s. I've added a picture of the page I'm referencing, plus some pictures of one of my own helmets. It's a size 3a with 62 liner, which is already really big, so if a size 4 exists it must be enormous. Thanks.

Kevin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Size 4 ssh39?   Size 4 ssh39?  

Size 4 ssh39?   Size 4 ssh39?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Size 4 ssh39?
    P
    Many

welcome to the forum kevin thats a very nice complete example so thanks for showing,your question got me thinking to my own ssh39 it has always dwarfed all the other soviet relics in my collection so it cant be far from a size 4 i reckon ,unfortunately as its a relic theres no stamps visible so i can only speculate ,here's a picture to show you ,kind regards james Size 4 ssh39?
    Regards James

Quote by James C View Post
    welcome to the forum kevin thats a very nice complete example so thanks for showing,your question got me thinking to my own ssh39 it has always dwarfed all the other soviet relics in my collection so it cant be far from a size 4 i reckon ,unfortunately as its a relic theres no stamps visible so i can only speculate ,here's a picture to show you ,kind regards james Size 4 ssh39?
    Ten gallon helmet!...

I checked my SSh-39 and it's size 2. The helmet is blockade built, so there is no indication for the liner length.

?

The link below is to an excellent reference site, it shows 3a (62) as the largest size.

.: World War Helmets - Casque Ssh 39 :.

Size 4 ssh39?

Quote by James C View Post
    That thing looks big! The most common size war probably 3, I think? This could imply that your relic definetly is size 4.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Tinhat, looks like you've got the final answer there.

James, interesting size comparison, that is quite a difference.

Kevin

Oh I didn't notice Tinhats post. This would mostly confirm that size 4 doesn't exist?

Warmest welcome to the forum Kevin! I'm sure you will like it here and it's always nice to have more members for the Soviet collecting section.