Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Some of My Collection Thus Far

Article about: Hello all, I was just wishing to show some of my collection and see if anyone has any tips for better displaying/preservation of objects? (I realize not all are from the Red Army, however mo

Default Some of My Collection Thus Far

Hello all,

I was just wishing to show some of my collection and see if anyone has any tips for better displaying/preservation of objects? (I realize not all are from the Red Army, however most is so I thought I'd Some of My Collection Thus Farpost it here). Also is anyone able to identify the blue beret? I believe it to be a KGB/Spetsnaz or some sort of special forces beret however I am not sure. (Apologies for the bad condition of some photos as well).

Thanks!
    Dimitri

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Some of My Collection Thus Far
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Looks great Dimitri.

My only "tips" are general. First, great that they are all behind glass. Will keep most of the dust off of the items (but will not distract moths, so throw a few cedar chips in there)

For visors, if at all possible, do not store them on a flat surface, over time it could put too much stress on the brim.

Second for helmets, if you put them on a stand, make sure that the top of the stand in not putting too much pressure on the liner. Best to have the stand rest right on top of the steel

Third and last, Not sure if the black head is made of foam. Foam heads are generally considered by most to be a no no. As the Styrofoam degrades we are told it gives off chemical fumes that could damage the leather.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Great kit, I'd love to see more of your US service cap there if I could please?

MAP Yes they are made of foam however it is covered by a fur thing (Not sure how to say it) hence the black stuff. Is this enough to protect from Styrofoam acid damage?

reneblacky I am currently not home, but sure when I get back. I believe it is a WW2 private purchase for an enlistedman.

Can you post some more pictures of the budenovka?

Quote by PapaStalin1943 View Post
    Can you post some more pictures of the budenovka?
    Yea sure, this is some more pictures of it however it isn't a budonevka. It's actually a bogatyrka (which is basically the same thing). These were produced by the Tsar to be a bogatyr helmet/ushanka mix to be given to veterans during the celebration for victory of WW1 (a bold move). Since there were so many of these never to be used, the communists decided to use them to create a uniform (something they desperately needed since they could not tell who was who). Bolsheviks began taking the hats, sewing on a red star and wearing them to show their allegiance. They later in 1918 became standard uniform. They were replaced by budonevkas in the 20s when the USSR started producing their own and no longer using the ones produced by imperial russia. They had the sewn star and pin. They were used up until 1942 of the war (officially however many soldiers kept onto them). The main difference between the bogatryka and budonevka is that the budonevka has a much lower tip. The one I have is a reproduction I bought in St. Peterburg, and they made a mistake of adding a pin, something a bogatryka wouldn't have.

Some of My Collection Thus FarSome of My Collection Thus FarSome of My Collection Thus FarSome of My Collection Thus Far

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Great kit, I'd love to see more of your US service cap there if I could please?
    I believe the hat to be pre 43 due to the different neck from later models, and the material and sweatband. I also believe this to be a private purchase because most commonly enlisted hats would have brown visors, however this one is black. Some of My Collection Thus FarSome of My Collection Thus FarSome of My Collection Thus Far

MAP
    ?

I have never experienced this threat from styrofoam but others have attested to it so I don't take chances. I've covered the few I have in a cotton cloth and really only use them for photos
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by Dimitri View Post
    Also is anyone able to identify the blue beret? I believe it to be a KGB/Spetsnaz or some sort of special forces beret however I am not sure.
    Hi Dimitri, welcome to the forum and thanks for showing your display.

I think your question about the blue beret did not stand out so it was not easily noticed which is probably why nobody answered it yet!

You are correct that the blue (nominally "Cornflower blue")
    indicates KGB.

Spetznatz is not a specific unit but the word is a generic term meaning "special purpose" and is a contraction of "spetsialnovo naznacheniya", excuse my transliteration, so it has a meaning dependant on what kind of special purpose is relevant. Such berets are usually seen with the "guards" type red distinction flash on the left side bearing the relevant arm of service emblem eg tanks, motor rifle, airborne etc. It is very hard to tell if this one is genuine from the picture but if you examine it the band should be leatherette type material not real leather and the crown should be made in sections with a circular seam around the top with three seams at right angles to the band. Judging by the tightening ribbon and ventilation grommets visible in the picture the badge apears to be in the wrong place but that might just be the angle of the picture.

My attention was also caught by the MVD dark red collar tab in the same picture. As is typical of these it has an arm of service indicator in the form of a tank device which is fine but there should be no other device present and the other on this one looks like an officers rank star which is totally wrong.

If you can show a larger more detailed picture of the beret further help might be possible.

I hope this is useful.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 02-02-2019 at 06:29 PM. Reason: grammar
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."