Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Soviet flight helmet and goggles for your reivew

Article about: dated 194?, WWII or later made? a well known site has two Soviet flyer's masks similarly factory stamped and dated, claiming them to be pre-WWII made: WW2 Soviet pilot mask WW2 Soviet pilot

Default Soviet flight helmet and goggles for your reivew

dated 194?, WWII or later made? a well known site has two Soviet flyer's masks similarly factory stamped and dated, claiming them to be pre-WWII made:

WW2 Soviet pilot mask

WW2 Soviet pilot mask

thank you

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet flight helmet and goggles for your reivew
    P
    Many

Hello, congratulations! I saw that on ebay too. I like the Soviet flight helmet, that is a bargain for the price that was listed. I believe the flight helmet is certainly Soviet but I could not find a pic that matched the flight helmet exactly but I believe it is a Soviet ww2 period. The goggles however are not Soviet. I am not certain, but I believe the goggles may be an original variation or indeed a reproduction of the Spanish Mira goggles. I say this because they are similar to the Spanish Mira, but there are some slight differences. The Mira goggles are not supposed to be painted at the frame, and the nose bridge is supposed to have a small chain instead of a strip of leather. And I couldn't find the type of goggles you have pictured in my Mick Prodjer book "Vintage Flying Helmets". I believe the goggles are a reproduction. Some other opinions would be helpful.

thank you! i don't see these often enough as for the goggles, they look similar to these Leitz goggles but not quite,

WW2 Luftwaffe LEITZ FLYING GOGGLES Aircrew - militarytrader.co.uk

Russian flying helmet for the opening cockpit, like the Y2.

Default Stalinas Russian Flight Helmet

Soviet flight helmet and goggles for your reivewCongratulations again on your flight helmet, I like it. The type of Russian flight helmet you have was worn throughout ww2 and as often (or perhaps almost as often) as the type with avionics. And it was worn in open cockpit aircraft as you have stated, but also was worn in modern fighter and bomber aircraft as well. I say this because I have viewed photos of this. I have found a photo of your flight helmet being worn during ww2, that I will share. The pilot to the left is wearing it and a pair of the issued Russian goggles and the RAF Irvin jacket. I have been looking for a pair of these Russian ww2 period goggles for my collection. (Many Russian pilots wore the RAF Irvin jacket, the UK gave supplies of these jackets to the USSR during ww2).

These Irving jackets even made their way to the streets of Berlin.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet flight helmet and goggles for your reivew  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by der Flieger View Post
    Hello, congratulations! I saw that on ebay too. I like the Soviet flight helmet, that is a bargain for the price that was listed. I believe the flight helmet is certainly Soviet but I could not find a pic that matched the flight helmet exactly but I believe it is a Soviet ww2 period. The goggles however are not Soviet. I am not certain, but I believe the goggles may be an original variation or indeed a reproduction of the Spanish Mira goggles. I say this because they are similar to the Spanish Mira, but there are some slight differences. The Mira goggles are not supposed to be painted at the frame, and the nose bridge is supposed to have a small chain instead of a strip of leather. And I couldn't find the type of goggles you have pictured in my Mick Prodjer book "Vintage Flying Helmets". I believe the goggles are a reproduction. Some other opinions would be helpful.
    Interesting topic. Apparently I was holding a Spanish Mira goggle for many years but I never knew exactly where it was made or by who it was used.
    Searching on the Internet I found an earlier topic at this forum about a Mira goggle; https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/cloth...oggles-341849/ .
    I read in this topic that the Mira goggle was used by the Germans but also by the Russians during the Spanish civil war. What about WWII? Was it still used by both of them on as large scale or was it just worn by a few men?

Hello Asjemenou. The Mira goggles from your link are original. I have read in Prodjer's book Vintage Flight Helmets what you have just stated, the Mira goggles were used by Luftwaffe and Soviet pilots during the Spainish Civil War. I have never seen any photos of Soviet pilots wearing Mira goggles at any time. However, I believe they were worn by Soviet Pilots, I just have never found any photos of this. I can recall seeing a photo sometime ago of a Luftwaffe aircrewman early during ww2 wearing Mira goggles but I can't recall what book or website the photo appeared. Sorry, I wish I could be of help, but I bet someone else here at this forum can find and post some.