Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Soviet M40 Dated 1950!

Article about: by Dimas Mark, your helmet is'nt repainted, that is a very nice factory painted helmet, to be true, I never thought about the chinstrap fastening period. Hello Dimas , Chinstrap Green 16mm o

Default Re: Soviet M40 Dated 1950!

Quote by Rob truscott View Post
    Heres two wartime chimstraps i have , one is on ersatz leather strap from 42 dated 40 pattern , the other is a more standard type on wartime webbing ,attatched to my 36 patt helmet. THe buckles are thinner , and possibly slightly squarer than post war types . The borders are thicker looking from above too.
    Interesting SSh-36, it is a blockade reworked helmet. I have never seen one with ans Ssh-39 chinstrap such as this. Normally these are fitted with really poorly made, artificial leather strap.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet M40 Dated 1950!
    P
    Many

Heres an original 36 patt helmet chinstrap with fabric reinforced leather strap . The steel buckle is different to both of the above , and very thin . Its seems that before and after the war there was a standard . but during , especially the emergency period , variations are to be expected. The wartime webbing straps seems not only thinner , but also looser weave than postwar , similar to a german gas mask strap (hey thats an idea !)
    No this is the blockade replacement chinstrap seen fitted to most all blockade rebuilt Ssh-36 and Ssh-39 helmets. It is what I would have expected to see on the Ssh-36 helmet you showed us, but yours has a factory Ssh-39 chinstrap fitted instead.

An original, standardized production, Ssh-36 strap is made of very narrow web and has a couple of different buckle styles.

Thanks . sorry i got it wrong on my last chinstrap . I wonder if these were only made in Leningrad ? Maybe other parts of Soviet union too? most of the 36 patt helmets in Shalitos book RKKA 1917-45 show leather straps , probably quicker to make than webbing ones , like on my 1940 . though this one isnt backed in fabric . Generally the leather is thin and must have easily brocken under combat conditions .

Thanks . sorry i got it wrong on my last chinstrap . I wonder if these were only made in Leningrad ? Maybe other parts of Soviet union too? most of the 36 patt helmets in Shalitos book RKKA 1917-45 show leather straps , probably quicker to make than webbing ones , like on my 1940 . though this one isnt backed in fabric . Generally the leather is thin and must have easily brocken under combat conditions .
    There are not many helmets in Shalito's book, I think it is the same one or two helmets used in many photos. Photos on 52, 63, 85, 104, and 109 show only one or two helmets. Most are the same single helmet. The most photographed example is clearly a blockade helmet. You can tell by the rivet position, high on the shell. The photo on 52 is not clear enough to say the cloth back is not present. It could be dirty and hard to see, or it could be torn off near the end of the strap where such damage would be most expected. The other photo, on 109 I think, does show the cloth backing. Interesting is that this type of Ssh-36 also shows up in Shalito's first book, the small one from EuropaPress. I think it is generally accepted that these helmets were reconditioned in Leningrad during the blockade.

Thanks all! I will post a pic of the chinstrap when it comes, but I'm going to say right now post war. May send it back.

On the post war helemets, why not buy a couple of early ones since they are so inexpensive. I have seen 1948 dated examples go for $25.00 US. I collect Korea era and Viet Nam, Central America (Contra War) Stuff so you can't go wrong, plus they are very clean examples and I feel over looked.

Mark

Dom
    ?

Hello,
    can you post more photos of your M40, thank you

?

The shown example is a blokade Leningrad made example for re-issued Ssch 36-39-40, even other helmets
    Heres an original 36 patt helmet chinstrap with fabric reinforced leather strap . The steel buckle is different to both of the above , and very thin . Its seems that before and after the war there was a standard . but during , especially the emergency period , variations are to be expected. The wartime webbing straps seems not only thinner , but also looser weave than postwar , similar to a german gas mask strap (hey thats an idea !)
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

Mark, your helmet is'nt repainted, that is a very nice factory painted helmet, to be true, I never thought about the chinstrap fastening period.
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Ok . Here it is Dom . I got it from shalito in Moscow back in 1994 .
    Its a big size with the brushed cotton lining looking like material left over from late style budionovkas. Theres a faint ink stamp ive tried to photograph,' May 1942 ' at rear inside. the other stamps have rubbed away .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet M40 Dated 1950!   Soviet M40 Dated 1950!  

Soviet M40 Dated 1950!   Soviet M40 Dated 1950!  

Dom
    ?

Ok . Here it is Dom . I got it from shalito in Moscow back in 1994 .
    Its a big size with the brushed cotton lining looking like material left over from late style budionovkas. Theres a faint ink stamp ive tried to photograph,' May 1942 ' at rear inside. the other stamps have rubbed away .
    Thanks Rob , nice and rare helmet ZKO factory

Ssch 40. 1942 dated by ZKO factory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast