Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Soviet Visor Cap - Help!

Article about: Hello All, I've been offered this Soviet infantry parade(?) visor cap. It's from 1972 and does have some wear to the sweatband. What's everyone's opinion on this piece? - is it original? Doe

?

Default Soviet Visor Cap - Help!

Hello All,

I've been offered this Soviet infantry parade(?) visor cap. It's from 1972 and does have some wear to the sweatband. What's everyone's opinion on this piece? - is it original? Does anyone have any info on this item? My usual area of collecting is Third Reich/1933-1945 so I'd love to get a second opinion from the experts Apologies for the poor photos, they are all I have!

Thanks very much guys

Cheers, skip01.

Soviet Visor Cap - Help!Soviet Visor Cap - Help!Soviet Visor Cap - Help!Soviet Visor Cap - Help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet Visor Cap - Help!
    P
    Many

It's an original EM/NCO Motorized Rifle visor. The market is filled with them.

Here's a good website concerning the subject: Under the Red Star; understanding the uniform visor caps of the Soviet Army, Navy, Air Force, security forces and civilian agencies of the Cold War

?

Thank you for the reply, Aleksander P. I see, thanks for confirming the type of visor cap. I'm hoping to expand my knowledge and learn more about this era! The websire URL you posted looks really interesting too. Thanks! skip01.

Quote by Aleksander P View Post
    It's an original EM/NCO Motorized Rifle visor. The market is filled with them.
    Yep, for reinforcement of the point I agree entirely with both aspects.

Whilst I was serving in Berlin these were almost a kind of currency that the Soviet troops used to obtain all kinds of "Western treasure" (as an aside they used to like mail order catalogues that they could send home for their wives, girlfriends etc to copy styles from and ironically Russian vodka bought from "Natsaha" giftshop in East Berlin went down well too).

However, since the Berlin Wall fell the fleamarkets in the "Hauptstadt" were literally awash with them and to a lesser degree most of Europe. This one being for Motor Rifle (Mechanised Infantry) troops is probably the most prolific but that point is ameliorated somewhat by the early date and condition from a collectors point of view. I have seen the odd fake but they are so obvious (for the moment) that one would more likely describe them as "fancy dress" or "novelty" rather than serious fakes.

It is a fairly iconic piece despite the proliferance and therefore something to be included in any collection of similar items.

@ Aleksander; great link thank you!

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-18-2018 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."